Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Accu Quilt Go Question >
  • Accu Quilt Go Question

• Accu Quilt Go Question

Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I personally think that you need to prepare your fabric the same way you would if you were going to cut it with a ruler and rotary cutter. Launder it, straighten the grain, iron it and startch it.
    I agree with PaperPrincess,check it out first hands on, cut something on it first .Connie in CO

I'll be honest . . . I had a Go! and sold it. It worked ok, but I needed a heavier duty one for my shop. The difference is amazing IMO! (I might just be justifying the money I spent on it!!)

Good point about washing, pressing, starching. I got in the habit of skipping the pre-wash when I had my shop. Didn't have a washer/dryer handy! lol!

Static is worse in the winter, but I have problems with it year round.

Also, just an FYI . . .

JoAnns can have good deals on dies, however they don't carry all of the dies that independent retailers do. I think I can put you in touch with a retailer (who happens to be a board member) that makes good deals. PM me if interested. Meanwhile, I'll talk to her about it.

Becky

I'll be honest . . . I had a Go! and sold it. It worked ok, but I needed a heavier duty one for my shop. The difference is amazing IMO! (I might just be justifying the money I spent on it!!)

Good point about washing, pressing, starching. I got in the habit of skipping the pre-wash when I had my shop. Didn't have a washer/dryer handy! lol!

Static is worse in the winter, but I have problems with it year round.

Also, just an FYI . . .

JoAnns can have good deals on dies, however they don't carry all of the dies that independent retailers do. I think I can put you in touch with a retailer (who happens to be a board member) that makes good deals. PM me if interested. Meanwhile, I'll talk to her about it.

Becky
    Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by quiltersew
    For all of you that own an AccuQuilt, do you like them or not. I am thinking about buying one.
    do some reading on this forum, search accuquilt!
    but also do some homework on the newer machines out for quilting. Ellison has the Sizzix big shot and BSPro out now.

They are wonderful and have less issues than the Go machines!
    Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
    Power Poster

I heavily starch yardage that is going to be cut on the bias. Would do the same whether the cutting is by rotary cutter or the Go! Spray starching isn't enough for me; I use a 1:1 solution of STa-Flo and water to make a very heavy starching solution.

For static cling on my Go!, I bought a can of Static Guard and spray both sides of the mat before a session. Works great! Before that I tried wiping down with a fabric softener sheet; that didn't work at all.

My mats seem to be holding up very well. I think it helps not to run excessive layers of fabric through. My Go! was harder to crank at first, and 2 layers was all I could do (large tumbler die, which may make a difference). Now I cut 4 layers at a time. Have occasionally tried 5 and 6 layers, but I do think that is harder on the mat.

On my strip dies, especially if I am cutting strips crossgrain (the usual way), I find I need to stop about 1/3rd of the way through, lift up the mat, and straighten out my fabric. I do it again 2/3rds of the way through. Otherwise wrinkles get "ironed" into the strips -- because the fabric stretches as it is being rolled through the machine.