Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Accuquilt die life questions >
  • Accuquilt die life questions

• Accuquilt die life questions

Old 07-09-2017, 04:50 PM

I have had serious problems with my dies. I have a multi 2.5" die and it lasted just months. Then my 5" square die started acting up too. I'm careful now with using them very often, sort of saving them.
    Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 PM
    Power Poster

I don't recommend it either. The prices are ridiculous and the dies just don't last all that long. My 5" squares die went dull in less than a year so Nancy's Notions sent me a new one. I had to send the bad one in for them to "test" it, tho... HASSLE. Now my new one is skipping a lot. Also, the handle fell off my cutter after about a year. The quality just isn't there to support the big prices.
    Old 07-09-2017, 07:46 PM

What model of accuquilt cutter do you have? I have a studio, and have used several of the dies very frequently in the last 3 years. They are fine. But the studio dies are what I would call heavy duty compared to the smaller accuquilt cutter dies; they are physically heavier, too, because they are made with wood, foam and, of course, the blades of the dies. While I can't be sure, I suspect that they will last longer than the dies for the "Go" and other models of accuquilt.

Having said that, if you use the 5" die so frequently that it wore out, it is worth investing in a new one.
    Old 07-09-2017, 07:48 PM

I have been "thinking" about a die cut machine for a while but held off because of cost. I have also purchased the Quilters' Select cutter, sm & med mats & a few rulers in the last month. I really like them & will stick with a good cutter & rulers.
    Old 07-10-2017, 04:08 AM

I don't have a accuquilt, but will give you my experience with Sizzix. I have the Big Shot, which I purchased probably 10 years ago when Stamping' Up first started using sizzix products. I've used the dies to cut countless times with paper, card stock, fabrics, and fleece. Last year, I was trying to cut way too many layers of thick paper... (probably 12 layers) and I damaged the machine. I was sure I would need to buy a new machine because I had had it so long, I called sizzix, and they happily sent me the parts, and directions to take apart and replace the gears. I think the entire cost to me was $7.00. Even though it was out of warranty, they were able to accommodate my request...
    Now, that's a company that stands behind their product...
    Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 AM

I hope AccuQuilt isn't making poor quality cutters. I could be because those who bought when it was good didn't have to get more. Maybe the think they are going to get more business that way. If everyone who has a problem starts posting on facebook or twitter they will do better.
    Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 AM

I shy away from them because the very first die I bought was the wrong size. It was supposed to be 4-1/2" square, but it was actually 4-1/2 x 4-1/4 rectangle. VERY frustrating, because I didn't notice until I'd cut a mountain of squares! Then I thought maybe the fabric was stretching, but I cut a piece of paper and measured it - the die was definitely off.

They replaced the die but of course none of the fabric, and it has left a bad taste and made me not trust their stuff. I really only use it now for rag-cut blocks - those are about the only cut it makes that is worth the hassle for me.
    Old 07-10-2017, 03:53 PM

I have an end of my 6.5" tumbler that doesn't always cut through the fabric. I just put a file folder between the mat and roller and it cuts fine. I'm not sure I am supposed to do that but it works.

Connie
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:57 AM

WOW that is not great. I have the 2 1/2 inch strip die and have used it for YEARS and heavy use. I own only a few dies but love this system. I was annoyed when you could not get good deals on their mats, etc. any longer. I have also used the 6 1/2 HST over and over. We cut charity fabric in that size for kits. I never cut more than 4 layers of fabric.
    Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 PM

I think that the newer models of accuquilt use lighter weight materials for dies. Lighter weight materials may not last as long.