Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • accuquilt...many heads make better decisions >
  • accuquilt...many heads make better decisions

• accuquilt...many heads make better decisions

Old 06-12-2024, 09:42 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    probably because i havent been there often im not finding the accuquilt site user friendly.
    could one of you nimble there tell me what the following would cost. the lady wants $900 for it, but it seems high to me

ACCUQUILT ELECTRIC "GO BIG" FABRIC CUTTER
    Flying Geese 3 1/2 x 6 1/2" Die
    6 x 12" cutting mat
    The above is the Go Big starter set, $629.99

2 1/2" Strip Cutter Die
    $109.99

10 x 24" cutting mat
    $66.99 for 2

​​​​​​​10" Square Die
    $89.99 (note it finishes at 9.5")

​​​​​​​14 x 16" cutting mats
    $66.99 for 2

​​​​​​​5" Square Die
    $49.99 (finishes at 4.5"; there are 2 squares on the die)

​​​​​​​10 x 10 cutting mats
    $29.99 for 2

Total is $1043.93, not including tax/shipping or any additional coupon codes. This assumes the cutting mats are the multiples of 2 that are in a pack, and not just 1 left of each.
    Old 06-12-2024, 01:45 PM

thanks mkc, youre a peach! she remembered right then. says barely used, has terminal cancer. still, lots of stuff there t wouldnt want or use. am long past my ebay selling days, id rather not bring it in at all.
    Old 06-14-2024, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I use the Go Big at the library. The long dies do have to be supported when they roll through or will fall on the floor if nothing there to catch them. Have you checked the library Maker Room? Most have the fabric cutters and lots of dies now.
    Interesting about the Big. It gave me giggles with images of the dies shooting out of the cutter at high speed across the room.
    Even the long BOBs do not fall off the Baby I have. But I do have to hold the Baby especially while starting the dies through, but not when I used someone else's larger cutter. If I crank too fast I need to hold the cutter but then the cheap quality not-cheap price Joann cutting table will shake and I fear it will fall apart someday so I don't crank fast if I can help it.

How nice to have libraries with maker rooms near you! There's nothing like that close to me. There is one near-ish quilt shop with a Studio cutter that you can use if you buy the fabric there, charges a fee if not.
    Old 06-14-2024, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JustGail
    Interesting about the Big. It gave me giggles with images of the dies shooting out of the cutter at high speed across the room.
    That is a funny image! But in fact, the mechanism goes quite slowly. (Now you have me thinking of that 'I Love Lucy' episode with the chocolate on the assembly line.)
    Old 06-14-2024, 03:06 PM
    Power Poster

The dies do not go fast through the electric one but if no support the long dies will drop out with a flop when done. You can buy a tray table extender for Go Big.

https://quiltinaday.com/products/a-t...cuquilt-go-big
    Old 06-15-2024, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    The dies do not go fast through the electric one but if no support the long dies will drop out with a flop when done. You can buy a tray table extender for Go Big.

https://quiltinaday.com/products/a-t...cuquilt-go-big
    Or you can use an appropriately size box to catch the dies. I am lucky enough to have a very talented son who is a carpenter, so he built a tray for me.
    Old 06-15-2024, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

I built my own with plywood and boards. Easy with an brand/nail gun and having the wood cut to measure at lumberyard. The only trouble I had was finding the tools I needed in my husband's shop. It was like being in a hardware store with no idea where anything is. I waited until he was gone for the day. He would wanted to offer advice and make it much more elaborate then need be. He still has no idea I made the thing. Never showed or told him. I painted it the green accent color of Accuquilt. It really helps even with the manual Go.
    Old 06-17-2024, 07:18 AM
    Power Poster

Onebyone it sounds like we're married to the same guy. Your post was hilarious!
    Old 06-18-2024, 07:38 AM

i have a cautionary tale ill share after i decide what to do pt barnum is laughing at me
    Old 06-18-2024, 08:22 AM

Check with your local quilt guild members or friends to see if anyone has an Accuquilt, it's so handy to see in person and decide whether you'll need the electric version. I have the Accuquilt Go manual one and it saves my hands and wrists so much, plus I can cut scraps fast. I have the 12 inch Qube set of dies which works great! In future I'd like to buy a 4 or 8 inch Qube as well but just one Qube size will give you loads of possibilities. There is a book that comes with the Qube with 72 quilt blocks shown. I also have a 2 1/2 inch strip cutter, so I can quickly cut binding strips or my own jelly roll or potato chip pieces, or even turn the strips and cut again for 2 1/2 inch squares.