Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Accuquilt vs rulers? >
  • Accuquilt vs rulers?

• Accuquilt vs rulers?

Old 01-20-2016, 05:49 PM

I have always thought of the accuquilt as an expensive toy/tool until this week when I am cutting strings and strips and dealing with an aching forefinger - hmmm.... may have to rethink this.
    Old 01-20-2016, 06:09 PM

I have a Accuquilt Studio and love it. I use it for strips and tumblers. I cut strips for binding for my QOV group. It's great for quilts with repeating blocks.
    Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    I don't know that I would use one much for odd shapes, but if it would work for strips and squares from scrap that could be a nice timesaver and hand saver.
    A lot of people only buy the strip dies and they cut the other shapes using the strip dies. They do not buy the triangles or the squares but I found those were the ones I used the most. I do not use many strips in piecing, maybe 4 or 5 strips at a time, so maybe that is why I do not use those dies as much or maybe I need to still get used to it and change. I purchased my fabric cutter because of medical issues and have found it very useful in replacing the stress of cutting manually.
    Old 01-20-2016, 08:15 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond
    I have always thought of the accuquilt as an expensive toy/tool until this week when I am cutting strings and strips and dealing with an aching forefinger - hmmm.... may have to rethink this.
    That was me not too long ago. I made the jump and am glad I did. Why wait till you are in pain.
    Old 01-20-2016, 09:47 PM

I have chronic tendonitis in my shoulders, elbows, wrists and hands. Seems I'm what is called 'a delicate flower' in my family - a term I coined for my darling children when they had invisible bruising, scrapes so minute you couldn't see them, broken bones that magically healed after an M&M, etc. As adults, that is one of their favorite 'Mom-isms', especially when they get to apply it to me!

Using the rotary cutter has been part of the problem. It takes some time to get the fabric ready for cutting on the accuquilt cutter, but most of that time is what I'd have to do before I cut with a rotary cutter anyway.

Even though it was an impulse purchase, I am getting my money's worth out of it and it is much easier on my arms and hands.

Wish I could afford the electric one, though. But that will never happen! I'd have to get all new dies, and they cost a fortune!
    Old 01-21-2016, 04:26 AM

I love our GO. Now to figure out how to press without it hurting my wrist
    Old 01-21-2016, 04:52 AM

I purchased a Go cutter because of arthritis in my hands. I thought it would be easier than using a rotary cutter. It wasn't. Turning the crank hurt my hands even more than using the rotary cutter! I ended up selling mine.
    Old 01-21-2016, 05:12 AM

Rulers take up less space in the sewing room. I also agree that there is something very ZEN about cutting fabric. I have a friend who had to have a Accuquilt and I have seen her use it once. I just don't have the room or money to spend on something I will probably never use.
    Old 01-21-2016, 05:13 AM

I have the go. Love it! I use it a lot!
    Old 01-21-2016, 05:14 AM

I started with the AccuQuiltGo in 2009, not long after it came out....loved it! The strip dies are so versatile in cutting squares, pieced strips into patches and so on. Anyway, all went well until my right hand started protesting due to osteoarthritis. I sold the cutter in the fall of 2015 and bought the electric version which is truly a blessing. I also have June Tailor rulers in different sizes; they are terrific when you are using a rotary cutter and need accuracy.