Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Accuquilt - Worth It? >
  • Accuquilt - Worth It?

• Accuquilt - Worth It?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    I really like it, for the tumbler, strips, circles, and a few others, but for the squares they do not square up as well as doing it by the rotary cutter.
    Make sure you have the grain the right way; if not you'll get bad cuts for the squares. I learned the hard way. Just a suggestion.
    Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
    Power Poster

Using a thin piece of paper on the die before placing the fabric will keep the fabric cut on a bias from stretching. I starch my fabric if I know it will have bias edges. For off beat cuts I will use a fusible interfacing before cutting.
    Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Seemed to me t.hat since you still have to cut smaller strips to feed through the machine it doesn't save that much time or stress on my shoulder.
    Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM

I was thinking about one some time ago but decided, it wasn't worth the money for the kind of quilting that I do. If I am doing a quilt that requires a lot of strips, I tear them and then subcut.....

I can't imagine what I would use it for except to cut strips, if it does it the way I want it. The dies that come with it, I wouldn't use. I don't do applique. I think by the time I spent fussing with it, I could just as well do it by hand the usual way. I think it waaaaay too expensive to begin with and then the dyes are too....

Last edited by Rosyhf; 03-27-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
    Power Poster

I really like mine for odd shapes and for triangles (because the corners are lopped off, making perfect alignment very easy).

Not as keen on using it for cutting strips unless you need a lot of strips from the same fabric. For strips, I actually prefer the June Tailor Shape Cut.

Haven't tried the applique shapes, but one day plan to get the Sunbonnet Sue and experiment with using fabric fused to Misty Fuse.

If I had the space and the money, I'd get the Studio rather than the Go! that I have -- just because I think it would be easier to turn the crank!
    Old 03-27-2012, 03:19 PM

I like mine lots ... For triangle fun. For strips, i use june taylor shape cut
    Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM

I have one and use it quite a bit.Major gripe is the time it takes to set things up...lot different than just slapping a piece of fabric on the Olfa and doing the ruler-rotary cutter thing...
    Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM
    Power Poster

I really like mine!
    Old 03-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I love love love mine... hubby bought me dies for the holidays and my birthdays and sometimes he ordered some for just because.. It is worth it for me. I cut up alot of scraps. I have bins of 2x2, 2.5x2.5, bricks, HST of all sizes, sqs of all sizes, bricks, tumblers sm & large, 9in Hex.... I have most if not all dies- all of the geometric ones and quite a few applique ones. I dont really care for the most recent appliques so i dont have them..I have the strips and the rags... I LOVE the rag ones.. soooooo simple and fast !!! I do buy the mats in bulk and on sale. So i have a back up to the back up to the back up as I do believe they are basically disposable.. I cannot imagine rotatory cutting the DWR- so yes in my eyes this is so worth it..

My crank did break after 5 years of loyal service so hubby bought me a new one while it was getting fixed... I shipped it to AccuQuilt and they fixed it and shipped it back no charge... So now I have TWO of them.. But I used it ALOT.. All i paid for was the shipping to- and after the use it has gone thru in the last 5 years it was well worth the shipping cost...
    Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM

I plan to buy one. I have made a list of the dies that I want. I think you should make a list of the dies that you want to make sure you are going to use it enough to make it worth while.