Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Accuquilt - Worth It? >
  • Accuquilt - Worth It?

• Accuquilt - Worth It?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM
    Banned

It depends on what kind of cutting (pattern/pieces) you do. I have cut hundreds of yards of jelly rolls and other strips for classes. My advice is not to go overboard in buying dies at first. Only get those you know yu will use and add as you need them. For example, if you decide to make a double wedding ring, then it will be worth the $ in time saved to get the appropriate die. etc etc.
    Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM
    Banned

lots of folks are ditching them for the more versatile Sizzix machines. There are several yahoogroups you can find them for sale!
    Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM
    Power Poster

My sis in law gave me the Sizzix Big Shot Pro die machine for my birthday. I like the Go much better. She has the Vagabond, it's electric, and it cuts fabric applique shapes with no effort at all. The Go dies are tricky to use with it.
    Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM

I have been wondering the same the same thing need to check out the newer ones too i am still working on learning to cut fabric with the cricut that was $300 & 50 to 100 for cartridges that don't do what i wanted i did not check it out enough when they said it cut fabric i bought it wish i hadn't now i will check things out more maybe sell it and buy something else
    Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Does your LQS have one? maybe you can just use theirs??? There is one at my LQS which i can use, although I have only used it once.
    Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 AM

I have the studio cutter and love it. I only use the geometrics also, I have not bought an applique die. Yes it is expensive, but because I have major hand problems I find this works for me and I can get things cut much faster. You don't have to buy all the dies at once, you can get them when they are on sale. Having used my Studio from Accuquilt, I wouldn't be without it.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I use mine all the time. I don't have any of the applique' shapes, just the geometric ones, strips, triangles, squares etc. that I can use for many different quilt block patterns. For me, the accent is on accuracy, not speed. I don't cut more layers with my machine than I would attempt to cut with a hand rotary cutter (no more than 4). I love that my piecing is so easy because everything fits (I am careful with my 1/4" seams). many of the geometric dies have engineered corners, which aid in lining the pieces up. I've read that some people think it wastes fabric, but I don't see any more waste than when you square your fabric up when hand cutting. I don't think I cut any faster, just more accurately.
    Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 AM

It's worth it to me because he cuts are accurate and fit together with no problem when piecing (I piece by hand). I just finished piecing one and all 12" squares fit together perfectly. No trying to adjust so the square match. I may not all the dies I have each time I make a quilt but many of them are typical sizes for squares and HSTs. My DH insisted on buying it (I didn't want it) but don't think I could have done as well on this quilt without it.
    Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Accuquilt GO, especially for applique projects!
    Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 AM

As mentioned you will find different views. Only you can decide if it is/will be worth it for you. I have access to the studio, and really like that one. I started using it for charity quilts and the 15 quilts I sent to Afghanistan last year in 6 months could not have been made with out.
    I own the Go, and have only used the 2.5 strip; I have been cutting strips and cross cutting them into 2.5 squares to use for English paper piecing hex's for GFG. This alone has been a great time saver.
    Consider what sizes you use and are those sizes available in dies.
    Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 AM

Thanks for this thread! I too have been tossing around the idea of one, but haven't decided if the value is really there for me. Will keep watching...