Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Accuquilt- Yay or Nay? >
  • Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

• Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 AM

I have a GoBaby and a regular one. Wish I could upgrade to the electric or the studio. I find that the accuracy of the cuts fantastic and I try patterns that I might not without it. Even the 2" (or whatever size) squares go together so much better. I have a scrappy 2" square quilt I work on from time to time and I can tell immediately when I pull squares to sew together whether I cut them or the accuquilt cut them.
    Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 AM

Love it!

Cutting out quilt pieces is fast work. Triangles and curves such as DP are easy to piece. The quilt and free patterns are almost endless. Plus there are embroidery designs to add to some appliques. Fun stuff!

Watch for sales and free shipping from AQ site.
    Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM

I bought my BabyGo for 99 dollars a few years ago, it came with one die cutter. I find my dies on eBay, and I usually only buy a die when I absolutely need one.

Right now mine is getting a workout. I am going through my scrap tubs and cutting out 4 and 5 inch squares, 2.5" squares, rectangles and a lot of triangles. This way if I need to whip up a few last minutes gifts I have plenty of scrappy shapes.
    Old 08-20-2017, 10:34 AM
    Power Poster

That's a tough decision. I bought a different cutting system at a show because it looked so interesting and promised such time saving. The reality is that I don't want to spend the time figuring out how to align my fabric so I get the most efficient cuts. By that time I'm long done cutting my strips on the fly.
    Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM

I bought my Go at the Road to CA show about 6 years ago. They had a demonstration going and I was fascinated by how they were using the scraps as well as the pieces. I love it and so glad I bought it. I love scrappy quilts so to layer pieces of fabrics on to the die and then roll it thru is so nice. Watch a few of their videos and see what you want to make. They have sales on a regular basis and that is when I buy them. Also, they don't charge sales tax and it is free shipping over $99.00. So if I save up what I want it is better than trying to find them in stores or on Craigs list.
    If you have any desire to make the Double Wedding Ring quilt - this die alone pays for itself in time not to mention the aggravation of cutting curves. They have also embroidery designs for a few of their dies which are so much fun if you have an embroidery machine.
    I do recommend you buy the largest one you can afford - you won't regret it. When I bought mine they did not have the electric Go Big yet. I don't have the space for the Studio system, but the Go is easy to get out and use. I have not lifted the Go Big - it weighs 23 lbs compared to the manual Go which weighs 15 lbs. The dies do need to be stored on their sides and not flat so that is also something to consider.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 08-20-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    Old 08-20-2017, 10:56 AM

I got my first Go! For a GFG. I would NEVER have done that without a die cutter. I'm now working on my third hexi quilt. I buy dies when they are on sale. 5-10 a year adds up. I can now cut almost anything with it. I love sewing with die cut pieces instead of my own rotary cut pieces. They are more accurate and have the dog ears already cut off. To me it is worth every penny. I now have a dedicated space so can leave it out all the time, I use it more this way than when I had to get it out each time I used it.
    Old 08-20-2017, 11:24 AM

It is an investment but a good one. I had a GO regular but recently got a GO Big (bought it used) and I love it. I am able to cut accurately and quickly and save my hands from the joint pain I experience from rotary cutting. I know without a doubt as I get older it will keep me physically able to enjoy quilting. I also find it invaluable to help organize scraps into useable sizes for scrap quilts, which are my favorite.
    Old 08-20-2017, 12:30 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    In retrospect, I'd rather have not bought one. I have the regular Go: The cranking will wear your elbow out! Once the dies get dull, you have tons of threads to clip. If you put too much fabric in them, the stack of fabric slides and your squares come out with curved edges. I've had this happen even with the recommended six layers. I would say, unless you are cutting kits in quantity, it's just not worth all that money to save a little bit of time in cutting.

The correct height is very important to how you crank. I have mine sitting about hip level not elbow level. If you are raising your shoulder when turning, that is not the right way. My DD is PT and she showed me the correct way after watching me use it. I had it on a table top, she said no wonder your shoulder gets sore. I haven't had any fabric slide or curved edges. Each die has instructions how to put fabric on the die and how to start the die, either straight or at an angle. I had one problem with the 2 1/2 multi die skipping cuts. I solved that by putting pressure on the roller with my free hand as I was cranking it through.

I now have the Go Big so I don't have to worry about height or cranking.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    Old 08-20-2017, 01:02 PM
    Power Poster

I didn't like my crank Go! at first. There was a learning curve to it. Now I lust after the electric Go! In my opinion, it's really worth the initial investment. As I grow older, I become more and more interested in equipment and approaches that (1) save me time, and (2) save my body from repetitive stress.

If you make quilts and you can afford it, get the electric one and *just* the dies that you are using in your current quilt. If you end up really not liking it, you can recoup a large part of the investment by re-selling it.

My preference is for the electric Go! Every single post I have seen from users who had a hand crank Go! and decided to try the electric absolutely loves the electric. The Studio is great for some people. However, it is most useful if you have a dedicated space where you can leave it up. The current version folds to take up less space; however, it is still quite heavy to move around.
    Old 08-20-2017, 01:12 PM
    Power Poster

Thumbs up

I used to be Nay unless you had issues cutting. I am a Ninja with the rotary cutter but due to an injury I had some issues and I decided to invest in a cutting machine, Sizzix Big Shot Pro. I have been very pleased with how fast and accurate the dies are. So now I say get it if you can afford it. Research them and get the one that fits you best. The have a wonderful snail trail block. Something else to consider is asking someone else to cut it with their machine and for you to pay them.

If you want the Accuquilt consider the electric Go or the Studio. I ended up with the Sizzix Big Shot Pro because I can do all Sizzix dies, most Sudio and Go dies up to 12 in. or so wide. As far as I know you can not use sizzix dies on the Accuquilt machines. It seems many people "outgrow" the Go crank and go to the electric Go.

I did consider the electric one but really like a lot of the Sizzix dies over the Accuquilt. Also the Sizzix Big Shot Pro is easier to crank then the Accuquilt Studio. For now I also have many "helpers" living with me if I wanted help with cranking. So far that has not been necessary.

The Studio dies are very heavy and thick. I do have some but I am glad I did not buy the Studio because the larger dies are way to heavy for me defeating getting a die cutter.

The Studio dies also take up a tremendous amount of space. I had bought some of the larger ones but returned them because of size and weight issues. So based on that from the Accuquilt line of machines I would get the electric Go and maybe one will be in my distant future.

From the Sizzix I like the Big Shot Pro, it is heavy and does need a designated space.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 08-20-2017 at 01:26 PM.