Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Addt'l ? re: retreats and lists - What kinds of places are your retreats? >
  • Addt'l ? re: retreats and lists - What kinds of places are your retreats?

• Addt'l ? re: retreats and lists - What kinds of places are your retreats?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM

I know the title is long but after reading some of the posts from Crafty Bears list of what to take I started wondering where your retreats are held. No specific place but generally. Are they in hotels, conference centers, cabins or whatever? Mine is in a wilderness type center where scouting groups and nature lovers as well as school groups attend. It is miles away from stores and shopping (although we have a quilt shop on the way for last minute gotta haves). It's not totally roughing it but lots of hiking and wildlife around. Several building for sleeping and a large dining hall to share. Quilting building hold up to 30 quilters and we use 2 buildings. So I'm interested in what type of a setting some of you go to for retreat.
    Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Next Wed. I will be going to a church camp on Wed-Sat. to a retreat. It is set back in the woods and the area is beautiful. The rooms are camp style with bunks but my best quilting buddie and I always get a room to ourselves and we sleep on the bottom bunks. We have a super time and it is really reasonable, because we all take turns fixing one meal. Barb and I and two others will prepare one of the morning meals. We have something easy like egg casseroles or biscuits and gravy.
    Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM

I've been to quilt retreats at a church camp and at a huge hunting lodge during the off season
    Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM

a hotel in bird-in-hand where we share a conference room, tons of stores, good food. We each have a hotel room for ours (or shared with roomie). Also, in the quilt store in Endicott NY, they have "quilt camps" and upstairs is dorm style sleeping...Candy and Rose are a hoot, too. Can't miss my annual retreats!
    Old 03-12-2011, 03:04 PM

There are two that I go to that are specifically for retreats. One will hold up to 10 or 12 quilters and then one holds up to 32 quilters. Have gone to retreats where we cooked our own meals but love the ones mentioned above because meals are included.

mltquilt
    Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Our local guilds use a former nunnery at the Catholic school. It's set in the woods not 250 feet off a busy in-town road, but feels like being in deep country. There are individual rooms with a twin bed for those who wish to remain overnight and a full kitchen. The sewing space is not huge, but accomodates enough of us to make it fun!

Jan in VA