Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • advice for Japanese theme quilt. >
  • advice for Japanese theme quilt.

• advice for Japanese theme quilt.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    TonnieLoree-yes, it's all paper pieced, I worked on for 9 months, although I have enough left over to make another quilt, since when planning it, I hadn't planned on sashing.
    Perfect! ... make one for yourself!! :)
    Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Gee pocoellie I made a quilt close to yours! We should trade a few blocks! Or you could make me a lap quilt from leftovers! Lol Jk!
    Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM

I'm making an Asian theme quilt for my daughter, using the Turning 20 pattern. Asian fabrics can be a little "busy" so instead of using 20 different fat quarters, I'm using six main fabrics which makes the quilt look less busy and a little more cohesive.
    Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM

That's a lovely quilt, great for inspiration. Have fun with your Japanese theme.
    Old 05-04-2011, 04:43 AM

QuiltE- So far I don't have a quilt for myself. LOL I'm working on one though, for me, I'm in the process of trying to quilt it, but then had to stop for the stupid broken leg, so it's still not done. Maybe by June. LOL

Painiacs-I'll send you what's leftover if you want.
    Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

I am currently working on an Asian themed quilt that is a take off a quilt I saw at Bennington quiltfest last year. Here is a link to pictures, it is the 16th quilt picture. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65580-1.htm

It was all different Asian print fabrics cut in a circle and appliqued onto varying shades of beige background. Very simple easy applique. Because I don't have a pattern of any sort I am winging it. I am appliqueing 5" circles on 6 1/2" unfinished squares but I am setting mine on point. It is handwork so going slow. I know you mentioned you didn't like applque so maybe you can modify so it is a square in a square or square with a shadow behind it like this quilt done in rectangles. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119660-1.htm

Pocoellie, your quilt is just beautiful! If you have lots of fab left you should make yourself one too!
    Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 AM

[quote=feline fanatic]I am currently working on an Asian themed quilt that is a take off a quilt I saw at Bennington quiltfest last year. Here is a link to pictures, it is the 16th quilt picture. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65580-1.htm

I love that quilt and the idea! If I have enough Asian fabric left over from my daughter's quilt, I may give that quilt a try. I'm Chinese so you'd think I would have tons of Asian fabrics, but nope, I don't.
    Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I am currently working on an Asian themed quilt that is a take off a quilt I saw at Bennington quiltfest last year. Here is a link to pictures, it is the 16th quilt picture. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65580-1.htm

It was all different Asian print fabrics cut in a circle and appliqued onto varying shades of beige background. Very simple easy applique. Because I don't have a pattern of any sort I am winging it. I am appliqueing 5" circles on 6 1/2" unfinished squares but I am setting mine on point. It is handwork so going slow. I know you mentioned you didn't like applque so maybe you can modify so it is a square in a square or square with a shadow behind it like this quilt done in rectangles. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119660-1.htm

Pocoellie, your quilt is just beautiful! If you have lots of fab left you should make yourself one too!
    The circles are gorgeous! I guess I could machine applique the circles down. I'm just more of an immediate-satisfaction quilter. I do not have the patience for all the curly swirly applique stuff.
    Old 05-04-2011, 05:53 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    QuiltE- So far I don't have a quilt for myself. LOL I'm working on one though, for me, I'm in the process of trying to quilt it, but then had to stop for the stupid broken leg, so it's still not done. Maybe by June. LOL

Painiacs-I'll send you what's leftover if you want.
    tsk tsk ... time to keep one for YOU!
    Maybe you two should do a split of your reserves and then do a creation to compare!
    Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 AM
    Power Poster

http://www.shiboridragon.com/
    or just a quilt with the lantern block would be lovely in the fabrics you have.