Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Advice is needed please >
  • Advice is needed please

• Advice is needed please

Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have done to help me get through this hump that I have been in. I will try and get another one done But again THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED ME. And Omak you been a GREAT HELP and I appreciate it more then you know. will post more when I get them done..
    thanks
    Sandy
    Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandy12010
    Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have done to help me get through this hump that I have been in. I will try and get another one done But again THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED ME. And Omak you been a GREAT HELP and I appreciate it more then you know. will post more when I get them done..
    thanks
    Sandy
    I KNEW you would get it!
    A whole bunch of us are awaiting your new creation - - with many fond memories of the wildlife pieces that you started it all with <wave> (question: How does one manage to avoid ending sentences with prepositions, without sounding like some kind of snotty professor?) ;-)
    Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 AM

You can square them up as best as possible, so what if some of the picture is in the seam (artwork sometime goes behind the frame so the viewers eye is lead to something else), frame them (with different colors) and stagger the rows so it's not so obvious they are different sizes. You can use different widths for the faming to end up with all the same size blocks.
    Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 AM

OK well here is 2 put together I have had to tear out more then I have sewn...Me and the HST are not getting along to well but this is what I have so far I wont post anymore until I am just about done... But it is going SLOWLY but will manage I guess.
    thanks Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-137922.jpe  
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM

What are you having problems with specifically with your HST? Is it that they tend to be too small?
    I would suggest that you make them a bit bigger, stitch one corner to whichever sashing you are putting the HST on ... and trim the outside extra, until you can figure out why you aren't getting the correct size.
    If you are cutting the finished size + 7/8ths inch squares accurately, then perhaps your 1/4" is off.
    I had one sewing machine that was almost 3/8ths of an inch if I used the edge of the foot (which is a fairly common practice) - -
    anyway! Draw your center lines, measure the 1/4 inch over on both sides and stitch on that line ... if the square is more accurate and the problem is cleared up, then you can know that whatever you were using as a 1/4 inch indicator is off in some way. <wave>
    Old 12-04-2010, 06:14 PM

I have 2 rows done there is maybe 2 out of all of them they may be off just a tad...Its for my bed so not to awful concerned about it...Its my first time doing the HST so I am pretty please with what I have accomplished I have pic but not sure if I should post anymore or not. Dont want to make people upset with me being as I feel STUPID...
    thanks
    sandy
    Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 PM

You are NOT stupid!
    You learn by being extremely certain of what you are doing before you proceed.
    Sometimes, it takes a lot of explanation to get enough information to step out and try something - - everyone learns in different ways.
    And, of course you should post pictures! You can post to this thread and those who choose to not look are free to go look at something else ...
    If your HST are off just a little, then obviously, it isn't that big a deal.
    Sometimes, we want everything to be perfect and lose our enjoyment of the task - - or, we get so frustrated trying to be perfect that we just quit trying.
    You may not have paid much attention to any other threads, but there are a lot of quilters who pick at themselves all of the time, we tell them - - every time you do one more operation one more time, you will get better ... be aware of what isn't as good as it could be and work on improving it, and one day, it is GREAT! Look at a lot of threads and you will find people encouraging others to not be too picky about what you are doing.
    Practice makes perfect is not just a cliche, repetition absolutely makes things better and better. Relax and learn to enjoy the learning process <wave> and, post pictures as you progress ... when you get the whole quilt completed, you can start another thread of just the completed quilt ...
    Be good to yourself! <wave>
    Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 PM

here is some of them my camera doesnt fit all the pic on it at once dont mind the one in the back ground it is old..but this is what I have done so far
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-138444.jpe   attachment-138446.jpe   attachment-138452.jpe  
    Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Well!
    I think it is looking VERY good!
    I think you are going to be amazed at how the quilt will change even more when you get the final border on it, also.
    Yep, it is definitely going to be a grand quilt when you get it all done.
    Is it my imagination or are you even sewing them together faster? See? <g> I TOLD you! LOL (just so you know that I do have a humble side: I did have to admit I was wrong at least one time today ... LOL)
    Keep up the good work! <wave>
    Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM

In my opinion, the only dumb question is the one not asked. If you don't ask questions, how will you learn?
    Your quilt top is looking great!