Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Advice needed for a rag quilt with polar fleece >
  • Advice needed for a rag quilt with polar fleece

• Advice needed for a rag quilt with polar fleece

Old 04-04-2018, 04:40 AM

Default Advice needed for a rag quilt with polar fleece

Hi ladies!
    I've been commissioned to make a twin size memory quilt from polar fleece pants. I suggested a rag quilt as I couldn't see myself trying to iron such material, and I have this wonderful Accuquilt studio rag die that I haven't used yet.
    I've only done rag quilt from flannel until now, so I have a few crucial questions:
    1) Would it be better to use the same material (polar fleece) for the back or flannel? My customer is leaving every detail up to me.
    2) I have a bunch of thin polyester batting leftover from my wall hanging that I have no use for. Could I use this in the middle?
    Thank you!
    Annie
    Old 04-04-2018, 05:53 AM
    Power Poster

Fleece doesn't fray like flannel so the look will be entirely different from a tradtional rag quilt made with woven fabric like flannel. Rather than the frayed edge you will get more of a fringe look. Here is a link to a blog that has a good picture of what it will look like and it will retain this look through washing. I don't think it would look nice if you mixed flannel and fleece because the flannel will fray and the fleece won't. Additionally I have no idea how deep the cuts are in the accuquilt die. You may have to make deeper cuts working with fleece.

http://www.instructables.com/id/No-S...ece-Blanket-1/
    Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 AM

I understand that fleece will not fray. But I've seen many rag quilts with flannel on top and minky backing, so I assumed mixing the material was an option. But maybe fleece is different from minky?
    Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 AM
    Power Poster

I would not use flannel with polar fleece for the reasons feline fanatic mentioned. You could use minky for the backing, as it is very similar to fleece in how it handles. I would probably not use any batting in this type of quilt but, if you want, thin polyester batting would be fine. You might want to make up a few test blocks before cutting out the entire quilt.
    Old 04-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Can you actually cut polar fleece with a die? Has anyone else tried this before?
    Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Can you actually cut polar fleece with a die? Has anyone else tried this before?
    I've cut only a small amount for testing, but it went beautifully.
    Old 04-06-2018, 03:18 AM

I have used my die cut machine to cut a Lot of fleece in my day. It cuts wonderfully with nice crisp edges. I'd say go for it. The fleece rags will not fray, but they will give a lot of great texture to the quilt. If you use fleece for the backing, I doubt batting will be necessary. A double layer of fleece is really warm, and depending on your batting choice, the batting may shrink with washing. Good luck with your quilt. Making a memory quilt for someone else is sometimes a little nerve wracking, but they so appreciate your endeavors.
    Old 04-06-2018, 07:52 AM

My favorite Ragg quilts are made with circles that look like Cathedral Windows. Fons & Porter sells the templates. Frayed Edge Fun quilts by Evelyn Sloppy are in two books. Love, love texture in quilts.
    Old 04-06-2018, 02:45 PM

I made a rag quilt for my daughter with a combination of cotton. flannel and minky. The combination worked well. While the minky does not fray. it does add a nice texture. I am guessing that the fleece would be similar. I used the cotton for the front of the quilt, or the top piece of the sandwich, cotton batting for the center, not extended to the edges, and a combination of flannel and minky for the back. The rag quilt design I use is an 8 inch block combined with a 4 patch block. If you want to add flannel or cotton for added texture, it does work to combine them. Or if you wanted, two layers of fleece will make a cozy quilt, too.
    Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 PM

you mentioned this is from polar fleece pants--I used a polar fleece jacket in a memory quilt for my mother-in-law. It sewed fine, but I have to say that the fleece was a terror to quilt on my LA--I think the reason that polar fleece is so dang warm and not true with fleece-fleece is that there is a poly-spun core in the polar fleece. I had to slow Wayyy down .