Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ADVICE PLEASE: Hexies >
  • ADVICE PLEASE: Hexies

• ADVICE PLEASE: Hexies

Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM
    Power Poster

I have a bag of hexies and a bag of yo yos. I have the thread and needles I use in each bag. Few spools of thread and pack of the needles. Their own Ziploc with templates inside. I just need to remember where I put them. I just stick with what works.
    Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 AM

I've been sewing hexies for quite a while now, but instead of using a whip stitch through multiple layers, I use a ladder stitch to sew them together. I use more than 18" of thread at a time, too, and I haven't had any problems (well I don't as long as I remember to dangle the needle to unwind the thread periodically). The stitches don't show, which I like. I do use Thread Heaven.
    Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM
    Power Poster

Eleanor Burns recommended using Beadwrangler Salamide Type A waxed beading thread for handsewing. It does not twist or shred, is very thin and strong. It's what I use for all EPP. There are many colors available. She use to sell a set of different color spools on her website. I have had a set for years and haven't run out yet. Threads magazine just recently had an article about using waxed beading thread for handsewing for hems, buttons, emblellisments, bindings, etc.
    Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 AM

I had problems with thread breaking too, so switched to quilting thread and it works better. I test threads by seeing how easy it is to break with my hand. If they snap easily it doesn't work well for GFG. I should add that I am using templets so may make a difference too.
    Old 09-02-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Eleanor Burns recommended using Beadwrangler Salamide Type A waxed beading thread for handsewing. It does not twist or shred, is very thin and strong. It's what I use for all EPP. There are many colors available. She use to sell a set of different color spools on her website. I have had a set for years and haven't run out yet. Threads magazine just recently had an article about using waxed beading thread for handsewing for hems, buttons, emblellisments, bindings, etc.

Thanks for that tip...l will definitely look for that thread....I have switched to cotton thread, but that too is not sturdy...I think the friction of the thread moving thru the fab causes weaking of the strands in the thread and thus shredding! So now to hunt for that waxed thread!

Last edited by Geri B; 09-02-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 AM

I have done lots of EPP sewing with Jeanna Kimball's #11 needles and silk thread with absolutely no trouble. And yes, my friends laugh at me because I grip the needle so tightly, my needle bends easily! Occassionally I snap one in two! Lol! One of my friends taught me to use a slip knot to keep silk thread from unthreading all the time because it is so slippery and fine. That was a life-saver! I do not sew thru all layers as someone mentioned--just slip-stitch two layers of fabric across the top of papers without catching the paper. My stitching looks like almost a satin stitch, I've been told. Works for me! Good luck--you just have to try until something works for you. There is no right or wrong.