Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Advice for tied patchwork quilt >
  • Advice for tied patchwork quilt

• Advice for tied patchwork quilt

Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Skylark53
    Hello, I am a new quilter and recently fell in love with the fabrics shown in this quilt:
    http://tinselcompany.blogspot.com/20...-quilt_14.html

I decided I wanted to do something similar, but in a full/queen size. I finally tracked down most of the fabrics and am ready to start, but I'm hesitating over a couple of things.

First, most of the cuts I have are fat quarters. From what I've read, I see there is a lot of debate over pre-washing, particularly with precuts. I also get the impression that quilting helps prevent shinkage (something to do with the batting) but if I'm tying it, will that effect be lessened? I initially planned not to pre-wash but it is seeming like that may be the way to go.

Also, I can't decide how big to cut my squares for aesthetic purposes. I like the look in the picture linked above, but I can't tell how big the squares are and being a lap quilt the proportions are different anyway. Is there sort of a "standard" size for basic tied quilts? I'm thinking either 5.5" for 5" squares or 5" for 4.5" squares. I'm hesitant to just start cutting because the fabric was so hard to acquire, and I don't have any to spare!

I greatly appreciate any input!
    #1 If you are using any batiks-------------prewash. Some colors bleed profusely.

#2 Sizes are your choice. I'd aim for unfinished 6" since you're using fat quarters, Maybe 5.5 unfinished, if the fat quarters aren't a true 18" wide.

If you're using FQs, you can always grab a bit of other fabric if you run short
    Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    A nice size is 5 inch square - this will give you 12 squares per fat quarter. I have also cut them into 6 inch squares when doing an "I Spy" and I want to show off the fabric. Due to the chemicals on the fabric, I do pre-wash. I just put them into a washing bag and even put them in the dryer so the fabric will shrink. So far fraying has not been a problem.
    5" will leave so scrap----------and I hate leaving scraps.
    Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 PM
    Power Poster

I don't normally prewash, but for a tied quilt I would definitely prewash fat quarters. Be careful what you choose for the batting, as many battings will not hold up well in a tied quilt -- especially if ties are not close together. I would recommend Warm and Natural batting for this type of quilt because it is very stable.
    Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 AM

The batting is where you are generally going to see more shrinkage than with the fabrics unless you use a poly batt. As others mentioned, check the quilting distance on whichever batting you decide. You will need to tie your quilt the distances outlined for quilting. Warm & Natural can be quilted/tied up to 10" apart in all directions. It does shrink up and give the quilt a 'crinkled' look. Personally, I like that look but you may not. Poly batting tends to shrink less but needs to be quilted/tied more closely.
    Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful and very helpful advice! Lots of things mentioned here I didn't know/think about, particularly in regards to the batting.

I'll look into getting a decent laundry bag and give the fabrics a wash to be on the safe side. (My washing machine is older and has no "handwash" setting, just a gentle cycle). Once any shrinkage has occurred, I'll see where my measurements are and how to cut to get the most out of the fabric.

Speaking of washing - should the quarters be left in the laundry bag/pillowcase for drying as well? I'm going to guess so, as I'd think they'd get too tangled without it...
    Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

With an older washer you can prevent a lot of tangling and fraying (even if in a laundry bag) by stopping the machine after it fills so it does not agitate. Agitate by pushing down with your hands while the machine is stopped. Advance the machine to spin, allow to fill with rinse water, stop again and hang agitate, then advance to spin. Skipping the machine agitation helps a lot.

For the least fraying, lay the fat quarters out flat to dry or hang to dry. You can also towel dry them and iron while damp. Tumbling in a dryer will result in some fraying and tangled threads, but many quilters just live with that.

Edit: Regarding batting, I recommend W&N because it is the most stable batting for a tied quilt. Polyester batting will not shrink, but ties need to be quite close to prevent the batting from balling up inside the quilt with multiple washings.

On any batting (except maybe W&N), ties need to be closer together than quilting distance. Most packages tell you max distance between quilting lines, but this is more stabilizing than ties; ties need to be closer together than that. To be safe, I would halve the quilting distance.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-20-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 PM

If I hang them to dry or towel dry them, will that take care of the shrinkage issue enough?
    Old 03-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Don't prewash any precuts. They will fray on at least three sides. A tied quilt will not have the same look as a quilted quilt will after it is washed, but not looking the same is not the same thing as not looking good. If you want to tie the quilt, tie it and love it. froggyintexas
    Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skylark53
    If I hang them to dry or towel dry them, will that take care of the shrinkage issue enough?
    It should. If you want to be extra sure, iron them while damp or iron dry fat quarters with steam.
    Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The measurements - number of squares per fat quarter - were incorrect in the response I posted earlier.
    Please recalculate before proceeding; you should get 12 per fat.

Jan in VA