Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Advice on using flannel >
  • Advice on using flannel

• Advice on using flannel

Old 12-23-2015, 04:22 AM
    Power Poster

Flannel comes in many weights from very flimsy (in my opinion) to the hefty flannels used in "chamois" flannel shirts sold by L.L. Bean and Eddie Bauer.

It also can come made of different fibers. Not all "flannel" is made of 100% cotton. Check the ends of the bolt for content and care of the fabric.

I am one that now soaks all fabrics that will go into a quilt in hot (as hot as I can get from the faucet) water for an hour or two. Then it goes in a very quick, gentle wash with a tiny bit of detergent and dry until "done." (I usually use the "how dry" setting instead of the timer on the dryer) I feel that agitation is what makes washed fabric look "used" rather than the washing itself.

I have had some flannels have almost no shrinkage - some have shrunk a lot.
    Old 12-23-2015, 04:28 AM

I agree with others, first thing off, wash it once or even twice. It is known for shrinkage and you want this to happen before making the quilt. Starching before cutting and before sewing will help keep it from stretching. When running it thru the machine, don't pull on fabric because that can stretch it too. Keep your bobbin area cleaned out, no matter how many times you wash it it'l have lint build up which will cause problems. Good luck. Its pretty to see quilts made with it and they are so soft.
    Old 12-23-2015, 04:54 AM

As mentioned be sure to use good quality flannel yardage.There is an abundance of 'cheap flannel' on the market for lesser price and it is literally junk. Moda and Benartex are good. I like to wash mine twice before cutting it. I usually use hot water, detergent and the dryer for the first wash. Then I wash with warm, dry until most of the moisture is gone but damp enough to iron without hard wrinkles. I use regular seam allowances and little shorter stitch length. It does make a heavy quilt-so be prepared when you are ready to quilt-lots of support around your machine.
    Old 12-23-2015, 07:22 AM

I was taught to use a 1/2" seam with flannel. Otherwise, I just treat it the same as cotton when piecing.
    Old 12-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Maywood has wonderful flannels as do Henry Glass and Wilmington. Quilt shop quality!
    sandy
    Old 12-24-2015, 03:34 AM

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge! Have a wonderful Christmas!