Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Afghan women are coming to quilt! >
  • Afghan women are coming to quilt!

• Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 PM

I just have to join the others in commending you for this wonderful thing you are doing. Prayers and blessing sent your way and on those with whom you come in contact. I will be watching for more updates. God Bless.
    Old 05-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I told the women about this board and two of them are a part of a blog that advocates women's rights here. Please google "Afghan Women's Garden" and you can learn more about some of the hurdles they have to jump just to have a voice and to be a part of shaping thier country. I sne tmy Afghan quillt home but I will show you some of the amazing quilts these people make. They are very poor and they use every little scrap they have available to make warms quilts for the winter time. Nothing goes unused here. I will purchase some of the silk thread. It is amazing. I've never seen this kind in America or anywhere else.
    Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 PM
    kso

Tell them how much we enjoy hearing your reports from the field.
    Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 PM

I will update them this Sunday. Thanks!
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:10 PM

We haven't heard from you in quite a while. What's happening? Is everything OK? Are the women still coming to quilt? We'd all love to see the pics you promised. How about an update soon? I'm beginning to worry about you. Please take care.
    Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 PM

I am fine. I have pictures but all of the removeable media ports are disabled for now and the internet company has not been here to grant us access. I am forced to use a government computer so I can't say or do many things I want. The women haven't been back since the one day they visited because of heightened security. There were coming yesterday but we had to cancel the visit 20 minutes before they were to show up. I go on leave in June so if things aren't better I can download and email then. Hopefully our news story will be done by that time and I can post it too.
    Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
    I am fine. I have pictures but all of the removeable media ports are disabled for now and the internet company has not been here to grant us access. I am forced to use a government computer so I can't say or do many things I want. The women haven't been back since the one day they visited because of heightened security. There were coming yesterday but we had to cancel the visit 20 minutes before they were to show up. I go on leave in June so if things aren't better I can download and email then. Hopefully our news story will be done by that time and I can post it too.
    So glad you're OK. I'm sure we all agree that security is important above all so we understand, but it's scary to imagine why security was heightened. Still, we're awaiting pictures and your news story, but we'll be patient. We know that your efforts have been outstanding.

Hope you enjoy your leave. Are you coming home for a visit? If not, where do you go and what do you do in Afghanistan for rest, recreation and a little fun? Please be safe!
    Old 05-23-2011, 02:02 PM
    nab

Good for you. Please keep us posted. God Bless
    Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Erika, thanks for referring us to the Afghan Women's Garden. That was quite an interesting read. Would love to see some of their work.
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:33 PM

so very good to hear from you. please know we support you and pray for your safety. Really do respect what you are doing.....will go to the web site you mentioned to get more info....God bless....