Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Afghan Women and Quilts >
  • Afghan Women and Quilts

• Afghan Women and Quilts

Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Thank you for letting them know that women are women everywhere. You have done a wonderful service for America. Thank you again.
    Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM

It is so interesting to see quilts from around the world. The artistic designs/styles from the areas are so visible. Very pretty work.
    Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM

I had no idea when Erika ordered some of the Head over Heels! shoe panels that she was so famous on this forum!! The fabric is being sent to her APO address, thus my painted shoes will be half way across the world!!! She had told me all about the women she helps, but I somehow missed this whole post/thread!! Share your talents...and you will have made a difference in someone's life!
    Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Bless you in your work and please tell them that their American sisters are praying for them and send our salaams and hugs to them.
    Old 09-08-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
    I don't know anything about any other organization. This is new but very welcomed here. We make kids quilts and some of the women knit and crochet. It is good to know there are other like minded people supporting the Afghans. The common people are very thankful.
    Art is Capt Art F. (as in the USArmy) stationed in Iraq. It's sort of this fly-by-night thing he set up a few years ago. Not really an organization. It's basically him in his spare time, and maybe an assistant or two. ;-)

You should take a look at that website again - he started the thing as a lark and ended up with thousands of packages the first year to give out to women in communities way off the grid. Maybe he could help you with supplies. He's all about making bridges.
    I'd be more than happy if the bundles were being sent to you to be given to the women working with you..
    Thanks for sharing the information. I am leaving soon but will check out his site and see if I could get our outreach team innvovled in some way.
    Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    I had no idea when Erika ordered some of the Head over Heels! shoe panels that she was so famous on this forum!! The fabric is being sent to her APO address, thus my painted shoes will be half way across the world!!! She had told me all about the women she helps, but I somehow missed this whole post/thread!! Share your talents...and you will have made a difference in someone's life!
    You are so sweet. Thanks for the compliments. The painted shoe quilt is going to be for my daughter for Christmas and of course I will post pics. I was finally able to get personal email access as you know so I checked your site out. I am so excited for you and hopefully we can meet when I come home next month.
    Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 PM

Erika, this has been a fascinating story to read and to think about. I can imagine my grandchildren and the grandchildren of everyone who has read this thread, hearing this story and eventually, it being added to the recorded history of American quilt making. I can well imagine also that it is a story that will be told to the grandchildren of the Afghani women that you have befriended. Something that also really strikes me is that you have taken paper piecing to a culture who is completely unfamiliar with the technique and I can only imagine the incredible designs that they will come up with to incorporated it into their breathtaking quilts. For these women, at least, you have changed their tradition of quilt making. That is such a phenomenal thought that it blows me away. In your own way, you have helped to change quilting history , not to mention the way that you have taught them that women everywhere are just like them. It makes the whole world seem so much smaller and more intimate. My hat is off to you and to those who helped you to make it possible. Thank you, and Welcome Home!!
    Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
    Erika, this has been a fascinating story to read and to think about. I can imagine my grandchildren and the grandchildren of everyone who has read this thread, hearing this story and eventually, it being added to the recorded history of American quilt making. I can well imagine also that it is a story that will be told to the grandchildren of the Afghani women that you have befriended. Something that also really strikes me is that you have taken paper piecing to a culture who is completely unfamiliar with the technique and I can only imagine the incredible designs that they will come up with to incorporated it into their breathtaking quilts. For these women, at least, you have changed their tradition of quilt making. That is such a phenomenal thought that it blows me away. In your own way, you have helped to change quilting history , not to mention the way that you have taught them that women everywhere are just like them. It makes the whole world seem so much smaller and more intimate. My hat is off to you and to those who helped you to make it possible. Thank you, and Welcome Home!!
    Thank you! Abdconsultant (a member of this board) got me interested in pp and supplied us with samples and I taught my co-worker. She is making a GFG with batiks right now. I have two projects going at the same time and the Afghan women are using newspaper to cut out their hexes. I brought them some from Connecting Threads so they use those as template to make more. I sent my machines and supplies home so I am just sick with not being able to machine piece so I kicked up the pp to a whole other level. lol.
    Old 09-09-2011, 11:43 PM

Thanks for sharing...so interesting...