Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • After reading the unpleasant shopping post..... >
  • After reading the unpleasant shopping post.....

• After reading the unpleasant shopping post.....

Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Don't know what I'm missing, but should we expect more of a LQS than we do a grocery or carpet store? A lot of medical offices are right up there in rudeness. I don't need a clerk to call me by name.Just treating customers as you want to be treated is fine with me, be it a dress store,shoe shop...whatever.JMO
    Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Originally Posted by justflyingin
    I think the idea has merit. Wish we had a place to "rate" them (like Amazon has reviewers do books).
    that is not a purpose of this board.

I so agree!! Any rating is very subjective. Look at movies or food!! Your hit is my awful. It serves no real purpose.
    Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Both of my LQSs are small enough to have the owners on the floor. All the staff is great. The one downdown is owned by a married couple. He has Janome on the brain and doesn't know why anyone would sew on an Elna, but I can forgive him for that as long as he's willing to give her a cleaning every few years.
    Last I heard, Janome bought Elna back in the mid 90's. Unless that's changed, I don't know why he'd look down on Elnas. UNLESS you have one of the 'good' Elnas that was made BEFORE the buyout. He may not know that much about your model.

Peggy
    Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM

I will be moving in about 2 years to a small town in Mo. we have 5 acres there. I had thought of learning to quilt and what do you know right in middle of town on the square is a quilt shop. We stopped in and had a chat. I now an doing her BOM and have made the two hour trip on the third Sat of the Mo. to show her my finish block and pick up my new one,( cut and ready for me) I also have made more than one trip for help. Small store but great place to shop.

Quilting On the Square in Fredericktown, Mo

phone 573-783-3555
    Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Our LQS just closed down, but our drug store has a fabric and craft dept. and the girls are really nice. they have become friends, and the fabric is mostly $5.99 a yard and Mondays is 20% off cottons, Friday is 20% off flannel and then one other day (thurs I think) notions are 20%.This is in Stevensville, Mt.
    In Missoula, Mt. (about 28 miles one way) there is Vickie's Down Under and she is wonderful. Her fabric is more, but she has sale fabric and is so friendly. When you go, she leaves you alone but offers help if you need it. You can wander into the back room and look all day if you want. She is nice and friendly and helps if you have a quilting problem.
    Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM

I have felt intimidated more than once in quilt shops. It shouldn't be that way. Now I go to Joann's and can find good fabrics there. Some quilt shop employees seem to look down on the customers. I can't figure that out. Not all are like that--just some.
    Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me. Customer input I would think would be very important to the shop owner.
    Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by Floralfab
    I have felt intimidated more than once in quilt shops. It shouldn't be that way. Now I go to Joann's and can find good fabrics there. Some quilt shop employees seem to look down on the customers. I can't figure that out. Not all are like that--just some.
    this is just a wild guess. maybe they're shy or afraid to offend by hovering. because customers are people, it's hard to predict what they'll like and dislike until you get to know them. if a person is naturally shy, that could take a while.
    Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Originally Posted by Floralfab
    this is just a wild guess. maybe they're shy or afraid to offend by hovering. because customers are people, it's hard to predict what they'll like and dislike until you get to know them. if a person is naturally shy, that could take a while.
    I think there is a fine line between people's opinions of "hovering" and "ignoring". Now if you walk up to a clerk and ask a question and get no answer then it is rather obvious you are being ignored. But sometimes I see people walk into a QS and give the appearance of being aloof; makes the clerk a little cautious. I think it is important to give these very hard workers the benefit of the doubt and hit that store more than once to get a good idea of whether it is one for you or not. It is like any store; not every one store suits every one person.
    Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
    Banned

Ever hear of the "Secret Shoppers" that get paid to review stores, resturants, etc. Maybe we each can be one...LOL
    However, we won't get paid for this....LOL