Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Air soluble fabric pen >
  • Air soluble fabric pen

• Air soluble fabric pen

Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM

I have also found that both of those type of markers tend to dry out quickly too - at least on me they have; when I've needed one there's no 'juice' in them to use.
    Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 AM

Do any of them leave a white mark if in a cold or hot area? Some pens I picked up that disappear with heat come back with a white mark so only used them where they won't show. I'm looking for those that will disappear with air as I'd like to be able to mark on my quilt for quilting and I don't plan to wash it before gifting it.
    Old 02-26-2019, 05:04 PM
    Power Poster

I always use Crayola washable markers on my last 100 - 150 quilts and they always wash out completely in cold water using Tide Cold Water.
    Old 02-27-2019, 06:30 AM

Just returned from a 4 day quilt retreat where the issue of the frixxon pens came up. We decided to do an experiment and 3 of us wrote our names on a piece of fabric, ironed it and the names were gone. Put it in the freezer and after a time took it out and the names came back, not with a white mark but with the same color we wrote with. So decided to try it again and re-ironed the piece, put in freezer and same story. So we thought we would leave it out on a table overnight in the warm sewing room to see if it would disappear, it didn't, the next thing was to wash it and let it dry but unfortunately I left a day early so didn't get to see how that worked out. Guess I won't be using it on anymore quilts. I do mark with it on the back of squares to cut HST and haven't had an issue.

Originally Posted by Snooze2978
    Do any of them leave a white mark if in a cold or hot area? Some pens I picked up that disappear with heat come back with a white mark so only used them where they won't show. I'm looking for those that will disappear with air as I'd like to be able to mark on my quilt for quilting and I don't plan to wash it before gifting it.
    Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 AM

My concern with the air readable or disappearing pens is that when the color disappears there is left behind the chemical that was in the ink. I am not a chemist but it occurs to me that in time if the piece was not washed, the chemical which is still in the fabric but invisible, could effect or damage the fabric. Think about it.
    Now about Frixon. It is amazing to me that when a company says its product is not for fabric and disavows any responsibility, that people still sware of its usefulness and claim it a good product.
    Old 02-27-2019, 08:18 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt30
    My concern with the air readable or disappearing pens is that when the color disappears there is left behind the chemical that was in the ink. I am not a chemist but it occurs to me that in time if the piece was not washed, the chemical which is still in the fabric but invisible, could effect or damage the fabric. Think about it.
    Now about Frixon. It is amazing to me that when a company says its product is not for fabric and disavows any responsibility, that people still sware of its usefulness and claim it a good product.
    Quilt30 you are absolutely correct on all counts. However I have not heard of fabric degradation. I have, however, heard with the purple air soluble the marks could reappear over time and often come back as a yellowy ghost line. Even the manufacturer recommends to remove all the ink by completely submerging the finished product in cold water. I use both the blue water soluble and the purple air, I prefer the blue as the purple I never know what is going to happen, either the marks disappear too soon or not at all so I don't use the purple much at all. I have had instances where the purple air soluble never did fade away until I spritzed it with water and even then it simply disburses the ink down into the batting and or backing. It never completely goes away until the finished product is completely submerged in water or washed.

With the frixion pens, I couldn't agree with you more. I have an acquaintance who is also a LAquilter (as I am) who used the frixion on a quilt she made to enter into a show and the marks did come back as a white ghost mark at the show! She hand delivered the quilt so it was not exposed to the cold. Apparently the frixion pens ink does react with some fabric dyes causing a white ghost mark that won't wash out. I will never use frixion pens.

On my own quilts I too have had great luck with crayola washable markers but I can't use those on a client quilt.