• Main
  • Alaskan Quilt Shop experience >
  • Alaskan Quilt Shop experience

• Alaskan Quilt Shop experience

Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by YukonViv
    I LOVED IT!!!

We did a quick trip over to Anchorage this week, picked up the girls their school clothes (stores we don't have here in Whitehorse and a lot cheaper!!!).

I got to visit four, yes four, quilt shops. Yay me!!!

I had a wonderful visit at the Quilted Raven. The owner (forgot her name by now unfortunately) was fun and friendly. Her shop was small and cozy and great for meeting other quilters. I had a lot of fun there and bought a lot of batiks.

Next shop was the Quilt Tree. Holy smokes I have never been in a store so large and full of fabric. Very overwhelming. So many people in there, a little much for this small town girl. I bought my fabric for our Christmas quilt there, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!!! My girls are very excited about that, now I better get working on it or else it will not get done in time. I got enough fabric to make a twin size quilt for cuddling on the couch and also enough to make pillowcases for the girls.

Third stop? The Quilt Zone, discovered that place by accident as it was right near our hotel and I spotted it when we were having dinner at Applebees. I got some great fabric and a pattern to do a quilt by an Alaskan designerjanetmac designs. It looked fantatistic on the wall, it's called Off Kuilter. It just looks haphazard...something I tend to feel like at times.

We left Anchorage, looking forward to the ride home...we made a pit stop in Palmer at the Fred Meyer (seriously this was the best store, I've never even heard of this store before...it has everything!!!) and lo and behold what did I spy as we were leaving? Another quilt shop!!! It was called Just Sew and was another gem. Lots of models on the wall, it was bright and cheery and the staff was friendly. I purchased a pattern of one of the models, and picked up two books to add to my sewing shelves (I forget the names, they are still packed).

My friend had a little laugh over how her car seemed tuned into fabric shops when I was driving. I think her car and I were made for each other.

The trip to Anchorage was so worthwhile, the girls got their school clothes and I have enough fabric to last the winter (hee hee), oh yeah, the scenery was great too LOL.
    You should have driven just a little further into Wasilla...talk about some great shops...and a larger Fred Meyer too!
    I love the Quilt Tree..one of my faves shops ever! Though she always had so many bolts on the floor...that drove my OCD nuts...ehhehe
    BUT I always walked in and went right to the white on white section and took out all of the nearly empty bolts. You got an extra 10% off if you emptied the bolt...
    Glad you had fun and the "mission" was accomplished!
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Love fun trips like yours! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 AM

We took lots of pictures! It'll take me some bit though to get unpacked and back to normal day to day, I do have to organize my new fabric LOL! Oh yes, and there is a weeks worth of house cleaning to do.

I'll post them on my blog when I get a chance.

BTW, I have two favourite purchases. at the Quilted Raven I bought 3 yards of raven batiks (by Cindy Shake)...oh I love love love it. I chose a yard of 3 different colour schemes. The Raven is our territorial bird so I couldn't walk away from that.
    At the Quilt Zone I picked up some traveling Gnome fabric!!! Yay, I love the gnome. We're huge fans of the show Amazing Race and we always love the little gnome they use in one of their race legs. The fabric is on white background and has the gnome in front of various world wide landmarks. I didn't even check the size of the piece, it was packaged up for $4.99. Turned out it was from a swap area, local quilters can bring in their stash to trade. I was looking at it in the hotel room and it's 2 yards!!!! holy smokes what a deal.
    Old 07-24-2011, 11:52 AM

Sounds like you made out very well. Have fun with all that fabric.
    Old 07-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks for an Anchorage quilting update. Almost 32 years ago we started a group there that met in the Trinity church. I've only gotten to visit once twenty years ago, wonder how many are still there. That group was a sure cure for cabin fever.
    Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Oh love the quilt tree....I used to go there all the time.