Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • All this talk about stash >
  • All this talk about stash

• All this talk about stash

Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 AM

I used to only buy for a specific pattern. Until it took me several years to get to the one project to use the fabric I'd bought. Then, guess what!?! I didn't have enough of one of the primary fabrics, and it was no longer available:{. Now, I buy a little extra, just in case, and that has turned into my stash. And, sometimes, the fabric calls my name, and if it does, I buy that without a specific pattern in mind, 'cause ya just never know, lol.
    At any rate, because I work really odd hours, it is nice to be able to walk into the room and grab fabric whenever the mood strikes me to make a quilt, and usually, it's during the nighttime hours, when ALL the stores are closed.
    Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 AM

My stash is pretty nice, and I am doing my best not to buy fabrics "just because" since the prices have really gone up. I check my stash first when I do a project. If I don't have want I need, then I will buy what is needed. Unfortunately, some of my stash came from a few quilt stores closing over the years, and the prices were good. I have found some nice fabrics at estate and garage sales. I love making Quilts of Valor and charity quilts as well as quilts for my wonderful family.
    Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 AM

I am a "mood" and "fabric sales" shopper; if I wait to buy fabric for a specific project, there very well may not be a sale or a coupon or I may be in no mood to shop. The mood thing is much less of an issue now that I mostly buy fabric on-line and do not actually have to leave my house. Whether on-line or physically in a fabric store, if I find fabrics I love and I know I can and will use them in a quilt, I buy them while they're available. I have been doing this for many years and have had few regrets. When I get an idea for a new project, I absolutely love to browse through my fabric for what I'll need; if I don't have everything, I take fabric samples to the store and match them to what I need.
    Old 07-06-2013, 05:50 AM

Pat G, I used to be like you, and couldn't understand why one would buy fabric without a project in mind. Within the last year, I too have started to buy fabric for unknown projects. I guess I can now say that I'm an addict. I see some that I love and if I wait it might be gone, so gotta have it. Bought some at a quilt show because it was $3.00 a half yard. Good buy couldn't pass it up. Ordered some fabric on line and if you bought $100 you got free shipping, so added some fabrics to get the free shipping. Now I have a stash. That's where it all began. :-)
    Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 AM

Reading through these post, I realized they should all begin with. My name is _________ and I am addicted to fabric. :-)
    Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 AM

I buy fabric for my stash when it calls my name. I also buy extra for projects because from time to time I run into a pattern that the yardage is wrong. Also because I sometimes make a mistake in cutting and need to recut. It is fun picking fabric from my stash for a project.
    Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

I buy fabric from many different places...I try to buy on sale or stock up when I go to Amish country in NY. since her fabric is so cheap and high quality. I have got so I like to search the thrift stores...I found over twelve yards of cotton fabric and over 3 yards of flannel in a thrift store two days ago...The best is it was 2.99 for the whole bag.I bought over five yards of Cranston..Looney Tunes print fabric for 99 cents last week at Goodwill... A stash is great for table runners and scrapy quilts. You do what makes you happy...If a stash is not your thing, no big deal....
    Old 07-06-2013, 07:05 AM

For me, when I am able to drive to the nearest fabric store, I usually buy at least 3 or 4 yards if something catches my eye. I don't usually buy for a project, I buy if I find something I really love. When I was working, if I had a really bad day at work I would treat myself to a couple yards of fabric. Looking at all the pretty patterns would lift my spirits. I fugured, hey it's sure cheaper than going to a bar to drink. Now that I am disabled and in severe chronic pain, I sure am glad that I have that stash. Even though it hurts to sew, it's something I do to lift my spirits. Since I've become disabled, the pain has taken so much of the things that I used to enjoy away from me. Sewing is something I can still do, just much more slowly than I used to.
    Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 AM

I too never saw myself as someone who would ever have a stash of fabric. That being said , there are so many beautiful fabrics out there that for me, it is impossible to not get at least some small piece of that fabric. I love to shop from my stash. Like having my own fabric store!!!!
    Old 07-06-2013, 07:10 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think I set out to build a stash - it started by leftover fabric from sewing projects. Then when I was planning a quilt I would buy 1/2 yd. or so extra just in case I miscalculated the yardage. Then there is the fabric that jumps off the shelves in front of me and I just have to buy it, as I know it won't be there when I go back, even though I have no particular quilt in mind. Of course there is simply buying fabric on sale at a great price for future projects. Although that can get me into trouble occasionally, like having to downsize from house to apt., where I have lots of "stash", since we've moved I have made several quilts - crib to king size - and picking fabric entirely from my stash. I do miss shopping for fabric though, so every so often I indulge when I have the time, opportunity and money.