Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • All threads are not created equal >
  • All threads are not created equal

• All threads are not created equal

Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I've found that if I need to stitch on poly/cotton gingham, I *must* use an all-cotton thread. I found that it has less stretch to it than poly/cotton thread, and I think that's why it doesn't pucker as much.
    Old 08-23-2009, 05:53 PM
    Power Poster

My son and I split the cost and ordered all of their collections of thread. I had heard good things about it and figured I would try it. Just like you I am sold on it. Great quality thread and at their prices it is a buy.
    Old 08-23-2009, 06:09 PM
    Power Poster

Bought about 18 spools from CT about 7 months ago.
    la la la...now I'm a believer! :lol:
    Old 08-23-2009, 06:14 PM

I bought a nice supply of Connecting Threads when they had their $1.59 sale, last winter. I gave most of my other thread away. I love the Connecting Threads too.
    Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM

I was told in my quilting class to use 100 % cotton. I am happy with it. I usually buy Gutemann's or another simular. Will check out connecting threads. I will try it.
    Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM

I agree with Eddie, Coats is not the quality thread that it used to be .....it has slubs in the thread(little bumps) plus being fuzzy. I use guttermann and connecting threads....I like my machines to much to use inferior threads.......
    Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks for posting this, Eddie! I'm also one who thought thread was thread, and always just buy it at Walmart. I'm going to check into CT now! Especially considering the amount/cost! :-)
    Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM
    Power Poster

The lady who sold me my machine said to use polyester--not cotton-
    I have never heard of any machine dealer say only use poly! That's very odd for a dealer to state her preference as what you should do. If the machine could only sew with poly then the dealer should have written facts why the manufacturer states only poly could be used. Some poly threads will score tension discs much faster than cotton. Sadly machines today, even the higher end ones, are not made to last. I test sewed on the newest Bernina, in the cabinet made for it and it vibrated horribly. To me constant vibration will mean something will break loose eventually. The dealer said it was mounted perfectly and that was just the way it sewed. It's a grand machine but I'll have to see one after it's been used for five years.
    Old 08-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    The lady who sold me my machine said to use polyester--not cotton--so I've passed that bargain by, though I look longingly at the pretty colors. I guess she thinks the cotton is too linty all the way around? I don't dare NOT follow her advice. My machine does well with Guttermann.
    I just don't get that. It's better to use 100% cotton quilt material but better to use polyester thread?

Eddie, Coats does come in 100% cotton as well, though Wal-mart doesn't seem to sell it. JoAnn's does, though, at least their larger stores do. But I'm sure the Connecting Threads cotton is still better than the Coats. And less expensive, too.

At my quilting class, they recommended Mettler, which of course was the only brand they sold in their store. I'm appalled at the cost of it. I'm too new to quilting to notice any difference between it and Coat. CT sounds like the best value for money, though.
    Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 AM

My first class I was told use cotton thread with cotton material, poly with poly, etc., and not to use a blended thread to piece. I chose Gutterman. I've got a few spools of CT I'll have to break out and compare.

Thread and needles are two things I really need to do some more reading/research on to keep it straight in my head.