Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are all whole cloth quilts made with trapunto? >
  • Are all whole cloth quilts made with trapunto?

• Are all whole cloth quilts made with trapunto?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
    Power Poster

i have made several whole cloth quilts. i have never made a trapunto quilt...so i don't thing all whole clothes are trupunto...and i've seen many trupunto quilts that were not whole cloth...i don't think the two have anything to do with each other...a whole cloth quilt is made with one piece of fabric for the top, a trupunto quilt is a quilt made with (stuffing) between quilting lines
    Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM
    Banned

no they are not designed for trapunto. Trapunto is an added dimension due to the preference of the quo;ter/
    Traditional they probably were not. Althought many of the older quilts did have the extra dimension added for effecgt.
    thise I designed were not done with that technique in mind.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 AM

i agree i cant leave the comp either
    Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM

I found this BEAUTIFUL wholecloth that I'm hoping to get: http://02e0803.netsolstores.com/33fe...medallion.aspx

My plan is to us it as a center medallion for my queen-sized bed and I want to hand quilt it (with no time pressure!). Dumb question: Would I piece it and make my blocks & borders first, then hand quilt the whole thing? I'm plannng on doing a creamy-theme with stars and 'blank' blocks around it, and look forward to designing something original.

Trina
    Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    Dumb question: Would I piece it and make my blocks & borders first, then hand quilt the whole thing?
    Not such a dumb question, Trina. I would assemble the whole thing, but some quilters would do it as a quilt as you go. Since it's in the center I would lean towards assembling the whole top, besides which I've always thought that quilt as you go would be a surefire way for me to screw something up.

Janet
    Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    Dumb question: Would I piece it and make my blocks & borders first, then hand quilt the whole thing?
    Not such a dumb question, Trina. I would assemble the whole thing, but some quilters would do it as a quilt as you go. Since it's in the center I would lean towards assembling the whole top, besides which I've always thought that quilt as you go would be a surefire way for me to screw something up.

Janet
    Thanks, Janet. I was thinking the same thing. I've never tried the quilt a you go method, but I'd love to some day. Also read about the Cotton Therapy method. Wonder if others here have tried either and how they like it.

I just went ahead and ordered it, so now I guess I should start gathering star patterns and fabric. I'm thinking maybe paper-pieced ones because I could make them look a lot more difficult than they really are! I'm really excited about this project. I'll probably work on others at the same time, but this one I'm just taking my time with.

Thanks for the info,

Trina :)