Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For all you hand sewers out there... >
  • For all you hand sewers out there...

• For all you hand sewers out there...

Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM

I use a soda case and put all my pattern pieces in it with directions. Then I put a silverware tray on top with needles, scissors, pins, thread and anything else I think I will need. If you buy a magnetic sheet cut a thin strip to stick to the top of a divider wall of the silverware tray. You can thread all your needles and space them across the magnetic strip. Also I don't need a whole case of pins so I put a magnetic piece in the bottom of the tray and add a good pinch of pins. Keeps them together.
    Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 PM

I use an over the arm sewing organizer, similar to a TV watcher's organizer that holds the multiple remotes. Mine is made from pre-quilted fabric. It has a pin cushion at the top, and two pockets on either side. When using it, the pin cushion is exposed, as well as the two pockets. When not using it, it folds up so that the pin cushion and pockets are not accessible.

I hold projects in the Zip-loc Big bags (XL size). If I need more thread than I can put in the sewing organizer, I might use a small ziploc bag.
    Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM
    Power Poster

i have a cigar box a friend gave me yrs ago i keep pins needles threader scissors etc. in it
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM

I have a cute vintage looking tin. I keep my scissors, needles, thimble, scissors, pincushion, Sewers Aid, glasses, little cup to put my thread scrap pieces in and a few spools of thread. All I do is pick it up and carry it to my chair when I have something to sew
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:22 PM

Some great ideas here! Mine is a Yazzii bag, commercially available, purpose built ... I bought mine at my local quilt shop.
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:59 PM

I have a small square plastic pencil box from WM for .96 cents that carries my things in it. I can even put it in my purse when I go out somewhere when I have small applique I take with me.
    Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 AM

A clear plastic with a zipper that pillow shams came in. You can also get bigger ones to carry the complete project in. They are from sheet sets, or even bed sets. I keep them all and use them for a lot of different things.
    Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 AM

I have a pretty little box that has an insert that holds everything. I also use a tool box at home
    Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by d.rickman
    I made a zippered bag with rows of elastic sections, to hold pincushions needles, etc., pockets along the bottom to carry pens, pencils, my rotary cutters, etc. - there is a zippered pocket on the front for my wallet and a small box can be put in there, and three pockets on the back of the bag for books, zippered plastic pouch to hold my project pieces - I take this to classes, and into other rooms where I can work and have all my things close at hand....see the pictures[ATTACH=CONFIG]435606[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435607[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435608[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435609[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435610[/ATTACH] First picture shows inside sections and bottom pockets, pic 2 - small box in zippered pouch on front of sewing bag, pic 3 - extra thread, needle threader and scrap bag, pic 4 - is plastic pouch with project in 2nd pocket, and pic 5 - my sewing machine book in the third pocket . The bag measures 14 x 17 inches, all the heavier things on the right side of inside, and lighter things on the left inside of bag, the front and back pockets were sewn and attached, after the inside was completed with elastic stitched down, and pockets stitched, then front and back were stitched together, 42" zipper sewn around the inside of the bag, and finally the binding attached. This is the third one I made and with each one, something new added. Thanks for looking.
    That looks awesome!
    Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 AM
    Power Poster

I have a little metal and plastic folding container that my late friend kitty bought me. It is perfect with all the outside pockets and the space inside for the project I am embroidering. It is similar to the old wooden knitting bag of long ago. It seems to me I have seen it for sale at Nancy's Notions. Very handy. I also use a Hat box that my other friend bought me that goes with the décor of my family room. It holds much larger items and is easy to leave out without making the room look messy.