Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To all of you who piece blocks >
  • To all of you who piece blocks

• To all of you who piece blocks

Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Design Wall - Design Wall - Design Wall!!!!! Away from kids and pets...
    Add a picture to that. The design wall - small for blocks and larger for the quilt top is great. I also keep a picture or drawing near my sewing machine to help me orient the different pieces. If need be I set up my 24" x 18" adjustable table and work one block at a time.

ali
    Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
    I really have never made a 'traditional' pieced quilt that I can recall. I am making one now out of my reds and whites.
    Each block I finish I am in awe of all of you and all of the quilts you have made just a little bit more! For crying out loud there are so many pieces and how in the world do you remember how to put them together.

You are all incredible, really I mean that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are so many pieces!
    The same way you eat an elephant........one piece at a time. Sorry for the pun.
    Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58
    I really have never made a 'traditional' pieced quilt that I can recall. I am making one now out of my reds and whites.
    Each block I finish I am in awe of all of you and all of the quilts you have made just a little bit more! For crying out loud there are so many pieces and how in the world do you remember how to put them together.

You are all incredible, really I mean that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are so many pieces!
    I have been piecing for a very long time and not once have I counted the number of pieces in a top. For one thing, I rarely cut 'pieces.' Most of the time I cut strips, sew and then cut. Speed piecing works for me. Using templates to cut small pieces one at a time? I'd never finish the cutting, never mind the piecing.
    Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 AM
    T.

I ditto with the cutting here. I have only made 1 quilt, double irish chain, while I was taking a class; but it was so long ago; now it's only table toppers & I can't even keep track of the few pieces

Originally Posted by k9dancer
    I have been piecing for a very long time and not once have I counted the number of pieces in a top. For one thing, I rarely cut 'pieces.' Most of the time I cut strips, sew and then cut. Speed piecing works for me. Using templates to cut small pieces one at a time? I'd never finish the cutting, never mind the piecing.
    Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 AM

I would like to see that quilt with 2,295 pieces if I did that I would have to stop quilting ... lol
    Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 AM

OMG, That is incredible. When do we get to see it?
    Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM

I'm with wildyard....Isn't a star block a pieced block? Are we missing something? Regardless of the kind of block, I am amazed when I'm chain sewing each step of the blocks, inspecting after each step and I'm on step 4 of putting the blocks together and find I lost a point in step 2 - usually in more than one block. How do you miss these when you inspect after each step? Makes you really feel blind and dumb sometimes.
    Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 PM

I am in awe of all the talent on this board. I am a novice quilter and I am inspired to become a better quilter by all of the photos of beautiful quilts that are posted.
    Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
    I just finished the top for a lap quilt....2,295 pieces.
    Five of my friends and I decided to get together once a month to work on quilts. A couple of weeks ago while I was working at the Food Pantry at our church and one of the other ladies was out of town the other three got together and chose a pattern for our next quilt. They decided that we would each make the same quilt using different colors and then put them in our quilt club's show next year. It is a beautiful pattern---with 7000 little pieces!! I am still in shock. I told them I will be lucky if I finish mine in time for our 2020 show. LOL.
    Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM

I think that this would be more than I could deal with on a time schedule! loL

Originally Posted by nstitches4u
    Five of my friends and I decided to get together once a month to work on quilts. A couple of weeks ago while I was working at the Food Pantry at our church and one of the other ladies was out of town the other three got together and chose a pattern for our next quilt. They decided that we would each make the same quilt using different colors and then put them in our quilt club's show next year. It is a beautiful pattern---with 7000 little pieces!! I am still in shock. I told them I will be lucky if I finish mine in time for our 2020 show. LOL.