Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • almost had it  !!!!!! >
  • almost had it !!!!!!

• almost had it !!!!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 AM

after about 3-5 yrs of trying to do this free motion quilting, I thought I had it today BUT my quilting machine needle kept breaking. I cannot lower feed dogs on this machine and I tried to cover them but either way the sewing works but the new needle keeps breaking.................does anyone know why?
    I think this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do but not succeed! :| :| :| :| :|
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe try using a larger needle? :D:D:D
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by joym
    after about 3-5 yrs of trying to do this free motion quilting, I thought I had it today BUT my quilting machine needle kept breaking. I cannot lower feed dogs on this machine and I tried to cover them but either way the sewing works but the new needle keeps breaking.................does anyone know why?
    I think this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do but not succeed! :| :| :| :| :|
    The throat plate perhaps? If it has just a hole in it for straight stitching, it can be changed out (hopefully you have one) for one that has a wider opening, for instance, zig-zagging.
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 AM
    Power Poster

your needle breaks because the motion of the fabric bends the needle and the needle misses the hole. perhaps a stronger needle will work, perhaps slowing down the fabric motion good luck
    Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 AM
    Banned

you don't describe how you are FMQing. there could be a lot of reasons. A full and complete and detailed description would give inquiring minds a metter chance of making informed suggestions.
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 AM

thanksfor your suggestions ...still struggling but have to quit for now......headache! Maybe I will have to take a lesson or two or three!!
    Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 AM
    Banned

a lesson would be helpful then you will be able to have some hands on assistance for your problems.
    Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, this is one area that lessons are really helpful. I struggled on my own but just a couple of comments from my instructor really helped.
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Yes, this is one area that lessons are really helpful. I struggled on my own but just a couple of comments from my instructor really helped.
    I agree. I worked at it for awhile myself, but made some major leaps forward by taking a hands-on class. There's nothing like some expert feedback to help move you along the way!
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
    Power Poster

what foot are you using?? it must be a darning foot/spring foot. it actually has a spring on the shaft. this helps keep the fabric still the split second the needle is in the fabric.

and i took a class where we were told not to lower our feed dogs. i've done FMQ both ways.

FREE Quilting Newsletter