Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Alternative to basting >
  • Alternative to basting

• Alternative to basting

Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Question regarding Sharon Shamber basting method - how do you do a larger quilt, say twin or queen? Do you need very long boards and a very long table?
    I have one set of boards that are 6 feet long and one set 10 feet long. The 10 foot boards should do just about any quilt. I had to buy them when one of my sons was here with his truck so I could get them home. I haven't bought the tables yet but Wal-Mart has 5 foot tables that fold in half to store. I'll get two of them when I need to do a bigger quilt. Those I can get home in my car though!

When you go to the lumber yard to buy your boards don't get anything from outside. It's warped and rough. Make them take you where they store the finish lumber. I found boards that are about 3/4ths of an inch thick and about 3 inches wide and they're nice and smooth. Before I use the two 10 foot boards I'll have hubby take a sanding block and run over the edges so they're not quite as sharp. I store them behind the couch in the family room.
    Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Every basting style has it's pros and cons. I machine quilt, and thread basting "rots my socks," as the quilting foot catches up in it.
    Whether you use tabs, pins, safety pins, spray baste or even hairspray, the important thing is to make sure the backing is tight before you add the batting, and that is smooth before adding the top. If you don't have the backing laid out right before you baste, no matter what type you use, you'll get puckers.
    I use spray baste on smaller projects, but use safety pins on larger projects.