Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Alto's Quilt Cut 2 >
  • Alto's Quilt Cut 2

• Alto's Quilt Cut 2

Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by davis2se
    Okay - this is gonna drive me nuts!! I've been online looking for this product, and all I get are either web sites selling musical instruments, or websites claiming "We have Alto's QuiltCut 2", and they DON'T!!!! I am the quilting worlds WORST cutter, and will pay anything it takes to get a system that helps me cut more accurately. Does anyone have a website address, or phone number for the company that sells these. I GOTTA see this thing. Thanks!!!
    Try this link:
    http://www.quiltcut.com/
    Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
    Power Poster

Oh
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the link. I watched the videos on it and think it is great. The Go is so limited and you have to buy new templates for different quilts. It would be OK if money was no object but I think the Alto is the way I am going. When I win the lottery, I'll buy the Go
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 PM

To be fair, many of the Go dies are basic shapes that would be good for many different quilt patterns. I do agree that some would be limiting though. I've only bought the very basics (squares, strips)
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 PM

I bought my Alto last year at a quilt show in Clark County Washington. Really like it. Haven't yet used it to it's total abilty but getting there. The "Go" you need to by the dies and they are expensive. No dies necessary with Alto.
    Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
    Banned

I've had my Alto system for several years and it's great. It does require careful folding and positioning to get the fabric in cutting position just right, and I had to buy a new mat a couple of years ago because my rotary cutter eventually made such deep grooves on some of the marked lines.

It seems to me that the AccuQuilt Go is ridiculously priced for what it does (in fairness, haven't actually used it but looked at it very carefully in the stores and on the web). The dies seem very expensive.

I got the nice carrying case when I got my Alto, and it makes the unit much easier to move and store. Unzips easily on the top so you can lift out the unit easily.

I put the Alto's on my kitchen island (makes it higher than my dining room table--easier on my back).

Danade
    Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 PM

Wait-so with the alto you still have to hold the rotary cutter? That's half of the battle for me. I cannot hold the thing up to the edge of the ruler for any length of time. I have no trouble holding the actual ruler down, just trouble rolling the cutter. So I guess this one isn't for me after all. Maybe I need the one that has the groove in the ruler.
    Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    It arrived last night, by golly if that box weighed 18 pounds I am a monkey's uncle. It was LIGHTER than that. My smallest Sheltie weighs apporx 18 - 20 pounds, she is heavier than the box was. The UPS guy said, have a large box for you tonight when I opened the door. Told him it's a cutting machine for quilting, he smiled.
    The unit comes together where all you need to do is insert the ruler and speed guide.
    I did some cutting on it, NICE! Going to love this machine. With it being so light, it is easy to move if needed. It also is not going to take up a bunch of space on my cutting table. I have one of the fold down ones on wheels. The unit takes up 3/4 of one fold down side.
    I am going to cut some strips out later today after I finish mowing the back yard, as today will be a cool day here to do yard work, to use for the ACCUQUILT - GO. Want to do some tumbling blocks etc.
    I love mine!!! Only thing I've learned is to hold the end of the cutting guide away from the rail. Then it doesn't move! Other than that I absolutely love that I don't waste fabric!
    Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by kai's Tutu
    just type e.bay.com.type in accuquilt search hit enter it should come up.
    Actually, I thought someone found Alto's Quilt Cut 2 on e-bay and I couldn't get it to come up. However, I did enjoy looking at the auctions for the GO machine. They are paying almost as much, and more, than you can get them for at JoAnn's.
    Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by loria183
    I purchased my Alto Quilt Cut 2, 2 weeks ago at a quilt store in Bend, Oregon. It is great! I love it! Cut the shapes and angles you want, no wasted fabric. :-)

I looked at the 'Go', but the cost of the different cutting disks was a turn off - I'd rather save the money for fabric. Then there was the loss of fabric..... another turn off.

I hope this helps!

Lori
    Which quilt store? I live near Bend, Oregon.