Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Always keep an open mind! >
  • Always keep an open mind!

• Always keep an open mind!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
    I don't change my blades because of the expense. Then I get a newone and it's just wonderful. I haven't tried HF for blades yet.
    I bought the HF blades. I must tell you that they do not cut as well as quilting blades, for me at least! I had to change blades before even completing 1 baby sized quilt.
    Old 10-12-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have to shake my head at some of the guild members that use old thread, to use it up, as they say. It breaks, gets knotted and shreds but still they use it up! Also they use the crappy seam rippers that weren't even sharp when they bought them. I saw one member make four passes with her rotary cutter to make a cut because the blade was so dull. She was saving the new blades 'for good' :roll:
    I've inherited a bunch of thread. Some OLD. I mean old. If it's on a plastic spool it goes out. If it's on a wooden spool I stash it in a jar just to be pretty. If it looks half way new and the price tag happens to be on it and it's below a dollar, it goes out too.

I don't have patience for old thread that breaks easily.
    I do the same thing with old spools, if they look interesting, i put them in a pretty glass jar or on a shelf with other old sewing notions. nice/cheap and cool looking decorations for the sewing room.
    Old 10-12-2010, 03:12 AM
    Power Poster

i always encourage people to try as many different products as possible...try every batting you come across, try every thread...you will find ones you love and some you hate..but unless you try them out you can be 'stuck-in-a-rut' and find yourself at a stand-still. experiment and be adventurous! you never know the treasures you will find!
    Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have to shake my head at some of the guild members that use old thread, to use it up, as they say. It breaks, gets knotted and shreds but still they use it up! Also they use the crappy seam rippers that weren't even sharp when they bought them. I saw one member make four passes with her rotary cutter to make a cut because the blade was so dull. She was saving the new blades 'for good' :roll:
    So True, False economy! Old thread dry rots, and some of the early poly core threads shred like crazy!
    Old 10-12-2010, 05:15 PM

I used to be one of the "use it all up before buying new" types of people. But then I decided that life it too short to deal with thread that shreds or tangles, or with a rotary blade that doesn't cut. OR any other tool that isn't right for the job. Men always have to have just the right tool for their hobbies, so why not women?? So I now make sure I have the right tool for the job, wether it's the right kind of thread, a new blade for my cutter (after all you don't see men trying to cut wood with a dull saw), or a new ruler to make measuring and cutting fabric easier.

So, if I get a spool of thread that I don't want to use for sewing, it either gets thrown out, or depending on the type of thread, used to make "thread fabric". (This is usually made with embroidery thread ends, placed between two sheets of wash away stablilzer and sewn to keep all the thread "together"). This thread fabric can be used for all kinds of things, from pockets, to collars and cuff, or anything you want to add a fun and different look to.

I also bought a ton of rotary blades some time ago, when JoAnns had their quilting notions on sale for half price. I hadn't heard about the Harbor Freight idea at the time, and I had extra money then, so I may never have to buy another blade again... LOL