Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Always said I wouldn't, but I did!   (Again) >
  • Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

• Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
    Power Poster

wow, so much worry over such a thing. did you ever use a cake mix? box of anything? Already made laundry detergent? Do you make your own soap, shampoo, grow your own vegetables and can them? A kit is just one of many ways to express ourselves. the kit has already been planned out. Would you take a recipe for something and say well I'm not going to follow it. And then wonder why it didn't turn out? Your decision of course, and you could always sell it or give it away to reduce your stress. Your choice.
    Old 09-24-2017, 02:48 PM

you will gain invaluable lessons in doing a preassembled kit. Use those lessons when you begin to formulate your own designs.

And really...no one can make us do something we truly don't want to do.
    Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 PM

Oh for heavens sake ....... you stated "I really like the design, colors, everything." You bought this because the design and colors spoke to you. Do you really think that by throwing in some other fabric here and there will really satisfy your ego.
    Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 PM
    Power Poster

I'm getting confused. i took your post as humorous but from the other posts it appears that others didn't see it that way.
    We quilters do funny things when we are in a gang of other quilters and I took it that way.
    Old 09-24-2017, 03:48 PM

That Home Ec teacher's voice was sure powerful in your life, huh? Did she teach you how to read and follow a recipe, or did she insist you create your own recipes? Pretty ambitious for seventh grade or whatever, if that was the case. I admire her for encouraging creativity, but maybe she went overboard in essentially guilting students like you from "copying" anything.

I was anti-pattern buying because, up till this summer, could always figure them out (I do simple quilts). But after spending hours trying to figure the math on one, I gave in. Figured I pay someone else to have done the math. I'm okay with it.

Make the quilt kit as is, enjoy the adrenaline rush of breaking free from your home ec teacher's "advice," and remember what great friends and hubby you have for encouraging you to break free

Last edited by zozee; 09-24-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 PM
    Power Poster

I have made a quilt from a kit my Daughter bought for me. I had tons of extra fabrics, good instructions and I enjoyed making it.

No one has ever influenced how I do anything. I guess I don't pay close enough attention to what they say.
    Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena
    I have been agonizing ever since.
    The only way I can justify this is to not use all the suggested fabrics, change to some others so I am still creating and not copying.
    You're actually AGONIZING over this???? Not trying to be mean, but that is a huge waste of time and energy that you could be spending doing something much more productive, sweet pea.

Quilt kits exist for a reason, and if they were "wrong" or bad, no one would buy them and no one would sell them. Quilt designers LOVE when you make their quilts, and it's a very sincere form of flattery if you like their design and fabric choices enough to use similar ones in your quilt! Do you think they're going to be upset or come after you if you make a quilt that is just like theirs?? Of course not.

I'm saying this with love - stop being so silly, it's NOT copying, go sew your quilt and post a picture for us to drool over.
    Old 09-24-2017, 07:57 PM

Be thankful you know how to sew. I would make the quilt as is, and maybe in the process you will not only learn a new technique on some patch, but also enjoy doing it. We are always learning new tricks in sewing, and I sincerely trust you will on this one. Put that label on and be proud that you have friends to share it with. Some of us have lost our quilting buddies to death or moving away. Teachers are for teaching, and the person who designed your kit is a teacher too. Look at it that way. Maybe she knows more about quilting then your own teacher. Enjoy it, girl. You really deserve to.
    Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 PM

I don't understand the dilemma in using a pattern people do it all the time and love what they make. I don't think you should let it bother you. If you bought it because you like why change it. You liked it the way it was. Really most patterns have already been out there for so long not much is really truly new just revisions of old patterns.
    Old 09-25-2017, 03:24 AM

Is everything you do original? Do you design and sew all your clothes? Do you never use a recipe that someone else has created? Do you ....? I could go on for a long time. You like the pattern. You like the fabrics. Now make the d... quilt and enjoy it!