Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am hand embroidering a redwork quilt >
  • Am hand embroidering a redwork quilt

• Am hand embroidering a redwork quilt

Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 AM

Question Am hand embroidering a redwork quilt

I have always knotted, knowing that it is a no no in embroidery. I work the tails in so they do not show through. Just wondering what others do with this at the beginning and ending. This is the fourth hand embroidery I have done, I like the fact I can carry it with me and work on it when I am sitting around for one reason or another. I know a couple of ladies who do beautiful work but always forget to ask them.
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 AM

I also knot...but I have now started ironing a light weight woven interfacing to the back before stitching...what a difference
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 AM
    dd

I hold the tail and make a few embroidery stitches over that tail to hold it. Same for the end. Just run it under a few stitches. At the last quilt show I asked the woman who was selling the embroidery designs and she said they always have a layer of muslin or white flannel under the fabric to be stitched. This hides the jump thread. It did look nice but I had never heard of that before.
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 AM
    Power Poster

I always knot and leave a thread tail. After the embroider line is done I weave the thread end through the stitches on the back with the needle and then cut off the extra. I use a good quality fabric for stitching on without backing fabric.
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 AM

When I was doing cross stitch I learned how to start without a knot. Take one long strand of thread- double it over. Thread the needle either with the two loose ends or the doubled over end. Take your needle up through your fabric leaving the doubled over end under your fabric. Come back down through the fabric and insert your needle through the doubled over end. Draw up your thread. You have just secured your thread. I hope someone can understand this. Ending my thread I take one small stitch and on the back just weave it through the other threads. Does anyone understand this?
    Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I always knot and leave a thread tail. After the embroider line is done I weave the thread end through the stitches on the back with the needle and then cut off the extra. I use a good quality fabric for stitching on without backing fabric.
    I do the some as "tartan" I use a self threading to make it easy to pull the thread. I to love have embroider project that I can take along in car rides, bus trips, right now I have small one that is in my handbag so when DH stop it the part store I don't have to wasit time just setting.
    Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 AM

I have always held the thread and embroidered over it at least 3-4 stitches, maybe more. Same as everyone else, ran the thread under completed stitches when finished. Did this in crewel, cross stich, needlepoint, etc. Never had a problem with it coming out.
    Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 AM

MarLeClair - what a great way of securing the thread - I am going to try this - Thanks for idea.
    Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Petey
    MarLeClair - what a great way of securing the thread - I am going to try this - Thanks for idea.
    This is a good way to secure thread, it will work when using two strands, but I am using Perle cotton using one strand. Do not think it will work. If I am wrong someone please correct me.
    Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 AM

Ok Judylg - here is what I did with my sashiko thread - I put the double thread thru the needle ( used a bigger needle here) then pulled the thread to the back and looped it thru double loop - then threaded one strand of it ( on my smaller needle) and did my stitches -- used the other strand going in another direction.