• Main
  • Am I "less than"? >
  • Am I "less than"?

• Am I "less than"?

Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

On a slightly different note -

To use ice-skating/ice skaters as an analogy here -

I feel that anyone that can stand up on the ice and move about without falling is an ice skater.

Are there different levels of skill? Of course there are.

Anyone that puts together something that is usable as a quilt is a quilter. My Grandma B made many quilts - would they win awards? Probably not. But she was very creative - she had pieced backs way back when - I though some of her combinations were a bit outrageous - then I saw a Kaffe Fassett book and thought "Grandma B!" -

So - yes, there are different skill levels. Sometimes one hits a plateau and that is as good as one gets. It's okay if that happens. Sometimes due to various circumstances, one's skill level declines. If that happens, go for it as long as one can - or wants to.

But back to the skating analogy - not everyone can do a quadruple jump - or even jumps at all - but should that stop that someone from skating if they want to?

Not everyone can do FMQ well. Not everyone can draw very well, either. Does that stop someone from appreciating various forms of art?

If the quilting was rejected - I would like to know what "exactly" the reason was - if it is valid, then maybe do something about it. If it is a matter of "style" - rather than "quality" - then --- they can find someone else to do their work for them.

There are also various levels of skill in quilt-making.
    Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM

I think FMQ refers to the process of quilting without feed dogs, so even if you are using a pantograph, you are doing FMQ. I would say that using a pantograph as a guide is the machine equivalent of hand quilting over stencil lines, and who would suggest that that was 'less than' quilting? Some people are artistic and can think up their own designs, and others are not.

Allover designs do take less time, and are therefore less expensive than custom quilting, but that doesn't mean allover quilting is in some way inferior to custom quilting. Sometimes an allover design is what complements a quilt the best.

I would say that there are tiers of quilting skills, but what tier you aspire to is entirely up to you. It's possible that charity has so many people offering their skills, that they have the luxury of going only with custom longarm quilting.

As far as whether you're wasting your longarm's capabilities, of course not. You're doing what you enjoy with your longarm machine, and that's exactly what you should be doing.
    Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 AM

Thank you all for your thought-provoking and inspiring comments. I will continue to enjoy and share my love of quilting. I will continue to learn and improve my skills. And, it may eventually end up doing custom sometimes.

To clarify the QOV issue.....one had never seen any quilting....just said they'd like to use the custom longarmer....but if she got too busy.....maybe I could do one......

The other one ... I explained I was going to use a stars pantograph and she asked if I could quilt a flag pattern instead. When I said I couldn't, she said "okay", but her sigh made me think she was disappointed.

But, I agree with you all..it's my joy.....and I will share it lovingly.

Thanks to you all.......happy quilting!
    Old 05-13-2016, 08:13 AM
    Power Poster

NO you are no less of a quilter by doing pantos. Pantograph quilting is not as easy as it looks and it takes a skill and a learning curve to do it well. It also takes a discerning eye to pick out a panto that compliments the quilt. Anyone who gives the impression of otherwise, please ignore them and continue doing what you love. There is a place for all levels of quilting in the quilting world. Not everyone can turn out a show quilt, not everyone wants a show quilt. Some quilts are made to be loved to death and others are meant to become heirlooms passed down from one generation to the next. Some are meant to be used some are meant to hang an a wall. It is all good and if you are not comfortable at the front of the machine doing your own thing that is fine too.
    Old 05-13-2016, 08:42 AM

My LQS only does pantographs...no custom/FMQ at all. I don't see them as "less than", just different than a custom FMQ quilter. Different strokes for different folks. In the end you have a useable quilt and that is your goal and a great one at that! Sometimes I look at the very custom and don't see a use -- other than possibly an art piece. Nothing wrong with that for them. I don't quilt for art, but for use. (to be fair and honest, I do custom/FMQ because I don't have a LongArm but a HQSweet16 that works like a domestic...can't do a panto on it)
    Old 05-13-2016, 12:04 PM

No you are not less than, there are a ton of different types of quilting and they all require a skill, not to mention you are donating your time for this purpose so who are they to be picky about how you quilt it. If they want to be that picky they can do it themselves. What you do requires a skill and time to learn and if the quilts look nice and professional I don't see what the issue is. Freehand is just a different skill and both demand respect including computerized work because that is hard as well. It is okay to freehand, use pantos, use a computer as they all end up with a beautifully finished quilt. Don't listen to those types of people that demean what you do. Be proud of your work and what you can do
    Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM

We are all quilters -- with different areas of expertise. I can piece and I can quilt, but not to the level that I want on my quilts so I quilt by check many times. Be proud of what you do and how you accomplish it!
    Old 05-13-2016, 12:45 PM

I just irritates me when others pass judgement on our creativity! I think it's wonderful you are doing so many charity quilts. And since many of the recipients of charity quilts need them to be washable due to health, etc, having allover designs make lots of sense. And even if you were not donating them to charity--there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with pantos! While I prefer not to do pantos, the main reason is I can't use my rolling chair like I do in the front & it makes my neck hurt working at an angle which doing pantos require! Some of the panto designs are wonderful and I wish I wasn't such a wimp!
    Old 05-13-2016, 06:06 PM

If you are less than for using panto m
    then I must be a big ZERO. I love piecing but am not good at FM quilting. I cannot afford to send all my quilts to a LA. Most of my quilting is straight lines. I appreciate you and your pantos.
    Old 05-13-2016, 06:42 PM

This is just my opinion and not a criticism of anyone's work but I think custom quilting can be overdone. I've seen some quilts where the beautiful piecing and design are lost because of the custom quilting. To me the quilting and piecing should complement one another. But most of all, you should enjoy and be proud of your work. Don't let others bring you down. Watch Angela Walters' YouTube video Three Things Quilters Should Never Do. (Sorry, I don't have the link.)