Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I "less than"? >
  • Am I "less than"?

• Am I "less than"?

Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 AM

I have had my longarm 13 years. I only do pantos.(occasionally I do freehand), but I am not good at it. Pantos turn out the same from top to bottom. Also I don't have the EYE that other quilters have. I can tell you which panto will look good. I have meet a lot of quilters just like us and there quilts are great. Most people I quilt for don't want there quilt stiff and prefer the panto. Be proud of what you do and who cares what they think. They can take their quilts to someone else. Everyone has a choice and when they come to you, you know they like YOUR work.
    Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 AM

I tried to do pantos several years ago when I first got my mid arm & frame. I just couldn't do it. I don't think my system was smoothe enough for my laser to follow the line. Just too jerky & bumpy. ( Or it could of been the operator!! It takes a lot of skill & practice just like any other technique. I love the look of pantos. There are so many beautiful patterns. So I certainly hope you don't feel "less than" because there are a lot of quilters that would love your skill. There are lots of ways to quilt a quilt & all of them are the right way. There are no wrong ways. Have fun!
    Old 05-14-2016, 05:55 AM

I agree with Gran of 6. Wow, they're awfully picky on the style of quilting for a donation that easily adds up to $300. They are shooting themselves in the foot. They get too restrictive and they'll lose out on some great donations as the quilters will chose other charities to deal with. They will also form a reputation that will hurt them sorely in the long run. It's a shame because it's the very people they are (supposedly) trying to help that will pay for that elitism.

On the question of whether you're a lesser quilter for using pantographs. Heck no! Are we less than for using rotary cutters rather than scissors? Fancy rulers rather than newspaper templates? Machine piecing rather than hand sewing? Decorative stitches rather than a straight stitch? Tying a quilt rather than stitching it? Freezer paper piecing rather than English paper piecing? Using a longarm vs a DSM? It's another tool and technique. I think there's room for all of it. Each method requires skill and they all produce amazing results. Be proud of what you do. Remember that those that sneeze at it probably wouldn't be able to do it themselves in a million years even with all the tools, materials and a handbook. That's why they find it so easy to judge.
    Old 05-14-2016, 06:04 AM

You may be too young to remember the "snobs" who thought that quilting anything on a DSM wasn't really quilting. Only those which were hand quilted met with their approval. Quilting is changing constantly. Be happy with your hobby and don't let anyone make you feel inferior. Some of those folks are envious of your wonderful machine and how wonderfully well you use it. Who cares whether it is tied, quilted on a DSM or a pantograph is used. Be happy with your creations and keep on going. (I'd love a sit-down LA but it won't ever happen at my age.
    Old 05-14-2016, 07:18 AM

If they do not appreciate your time and money, to complete something they see to not have the ability to do, move on. There are many who would love your expertise!! As for tiers of quilting ability, to me, personally, that would be hand quilting, yet there are others who do not care for it at all. The point is, make it yours, do the best you can and tell anyone who does not appreciate it, to buzz off!!
    Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 AM

Don't let anyone put you down or make you feel like "less than" no matter what the subject. We are all Gods children and if you do your best, they need to shut their pie holes and be happy for what your doing.
    Old 05-14-2016, 11:52 AM

I have an Innova and I do pantos on many of my quilts. I like the themes of my pantos. I have found several that I use for Quilts of Valor. No one has ever had an issue with the finished quilt. I do quilting for myself, my family, gifts, and Quilts of Valor. If you are doing Quilts of Valor or any comfort/charity quilts, they are always appreciated by the recipients, because of the care and love put into them, not because they are super award winning quilts.

As for custom quilting comment, you need to ask whether it was truly custom quilting (of which there are many wonderful custom quilters), or was it a computerized quilting program where they selected a pattern and it was loaded into a system? Also, who said they would prefer "custom quilting"? You have to take the comment's source into consideration.

It is true that for true custom quilting there are levels of skill. There are many talented custom quilters out there, but there is still a top rung for competition level quilting, such as Karen McTavish, Marilyn Badger, and others.

If you want to practice free motion, I agree with Peckish. Make muslin practice pieces that you can turn into pet beds or bind the piece to save as samples about doing a particular quilt design.

You should be proud of your quilts. Doing a panto is still hard work, because you still have to do the work of running the machine. If you want to expand yourself into doing free motion, take some classes, but do not feel lesser if you find pantos work best for you, especially if you are doing a lot of quilts. Pantos provide a good variety without having to come up with a new or different idea by yourself. It still takes skill to follow the panto without too many jiggles. It only makes you human.
    Old 05-15-2016, 04:39 AM

If you like the look of a pantograph on your quilt, then be proud of the fact that you have done it yourself. The fabric masterpieces you create, whether they are for you or for gifts or for charities, will be just as warm and thoughtful. Besides, what is the difference in creating a pantograph design on a quilt and "merely" stitching parallel lines diagonally all across the face of the quilt? They are both "designs," right?

I have a favorite long-arm quilter who has never ceased to amaze me when she has put a pantograph on one of my quilts. Here choice of designs has always made my finished quilts even more amazing to me.

Please be proud of yourself and enjoy the process you are doing. Never let anyone else tear down the wonderful work you are doing.
    Old 05-15-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB
    I have a longarm quilting machine (Innova). Am I "less than" a quilter because I love to use Pantographs? I love making quilts as gifts and charity quilts and have never done commissioned quilts. I have quilted 2 Quilts of Valor quilts and have volunteered to do a few more. But, it seems the impression is that my quilting is "less than" because I do all-over quilting with pantographs. They would rather have someone else "custom quilt".

I think of practicing free motion, but after I've put time and $$ into a quilt.....I don't want to use it as practice.

So, am I "less than" free motion quilters? Are there tiers of quilting skills? Is the master level the free motion/custom quilting that folks pay hundreds of dollars for? Should that be something we all strive for? Am I wasting my longarm's capabilities?

Just wondering out loud.......I have always been proud of my quilts.....but now, I'm wondering.........hmmmmmmm.
    Never question your self-worth. W all due respect, I'd say to find another chapter or charity that will value what you bring to the table + what you enjoy doing.
    Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 AM

I want to say I am sorry that someone made you think that your pantograph quilting is "less than". I make quilts that get used so I chose a lady who does edge to edge only and I am good with that. She is the professional so she chooses the quilting pattern/thread color to enhance the quilt design. I have always been quite pleased with the results. Should I make a quilt that will be more on display, I will find a quilter who does a different type of quilting. If you enjoy making charity quilts, then pantographs are the way to go for durability as well as design. I understand there are folks out there who want to chip away at someone who doesn't quilt just so, sew just so, have the best machine, latest fabric collection, "oh, a scrappy!", or any other comments. Stand tall and be proud of the work you do. My DGM used to say, "Do what you want to do in life as long as you are following the good Lord!" Well, I say you are doing just that.