Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the only one??? >
  • Am I the only one???

• Am I the only one???

Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 PM

I sure know what you mean! I used to have my own room in the basement, but we have our son and daughter-in-law here now so--my room is gone and the basement is filled, so I search for things. My 95 yr. old dad lives with us too, so he has a table with his magnifying reading machine in the living room--so I decided I'd use the living room too! I went to Sam's Club and bought a 4 foot table, and now I leave my things there and can sew when I want/ It works for me!!
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM

I live in a motorhome with no pull outs. It's an older model. I set up my sewing machine on a tray table which blocks the entire aisle so no one can get by. I cut on my stovetop cover & ironing board takes up the entire other end of the aisle. To sandwich a quilt, I have to drag everything (sewing machine & all it's cords etc, pins, tape, scissors, cutting mat, batting/backing and quilt top) up to the campgrounds' clubhouse. I am constantly taking it down or putting it up to get it out of the way so we can cook, bake or eat. I feel your aggravation!! I too dream of having a dedicated sewing room of my own with actual storage & room to work someday!
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Many of us have had the same problem and I have to give all of you credit for quilting under those circumstances... 6 years ago I was in the same place you are.. my dining room table and used shelves in the laundry room for the material boxes... We lived in a two bedroom townhouse...Now I have my own quilt room... It can happen to you too, just hang in there and get some smaller projects to work on...
    Hugs
    Ladybug :) :)
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM

No, you're not the only one... However, since I no longer have small children around, sometimes I can get away with leaving my machine and craft box/quilting items in the dining area for a few days... any longer than that, and I start to feel "messy"....
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
    Your not alone---when my kids were at home, I had a small corner of the bedroom with my machine on an adjustable ironing board. After the kids grew up, one of their bedrooms became the laundry room, the other (spare bedroom for when a kid came home) plus my storage area.
    About 10 years ago hubby decided he wanted me closer, so he bought a sewing desk which he installed in the living room, told me if someone comes and doesn't like it, they can go home. Not a lot of extra room in the living room, but it is nice to sew where he is.
    That's so cool!!! What a great hubby! We've been in this old motorhome for over 11 years now, but before when we had our home, I used to sew behind our TV in the open room connecting the livingroom to the kitchen, so I could still be with the family when I sewed. I loved it because everything was relatively handy. I really miss that space!!
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM

I have been looking for a sewing machine cabinet for a couple of month's - I found a cabinet similar to this one being sold on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sewing-Machine-C...item3cb10de747

On Craigslist - for only $75.00 - I love it.
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:12 PM

I'm pretty close! Have to take over the living room for anything serious; have to cut fabric on the kitchen table; have to iron in the kitchen or the living room, depending on who is underfoot! My sewing area is just big enough for the portable table, and that's about it. Hence the move to the living room when necessary.
    You are definitely not alone!
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Luck you!!! What a find... that would work perfectly in a corner of my room... I guess I better start looking at Craigslist more often...
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
    joy

I used to use the dining room table too, but I then sold the dressing table in one of the bedrooms, bought an ezysew sewing table where the machine fits down into it and put it in that bedroom.... what a difference it has made... we have a tidy dining room now and a messy bedroom where my materials and patterns are but I can go into that bedroom and sew to my hearts content... also it is stury enough to be able to cut out on it... just put my bigger cutting mat on it and away I go... if I need to cut out lots of strips off the same piece of material, then I go to the dining room table, use it for about half an hour, tidy up and go back to the bedroom to sew.... choice !!!
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:34 PM

My lounge room has become my sewing room and I store the fabric under my bed. I don't 'clean - up' any more if I have visitors. They can sit in my work room and enjoy the process. I had one person who visited, had coffee and cake and then gossiped about 'the mess' and so I don't worry any more. It is not dirt. It is just material and industry. The only thing that is a problem is that I don't have enough room when I want to sandwich my quilts to get ready for the quilting. Most people don't worry about the fact that they have coffee in the workroom, and I have a number of friends who offer their large areas when it is time for me to sandwich.