Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the only one who didn't know this?? >
  • Am I the only one who didn't know this??

• Am I the only one who didn't know this??

Old 04-15-2015, 03:43 AM
    Power Poster

I have baskets full of pre cuts. I love them. Seeing them motivates me so that is enough reason for me to buy. Love my pre cuts!
    Old 04-15-2015, 04:06 AM

DebD800 is correct--not all manufacturers produce the same size jelly roll. I know it is fun to have that assortment of fabrics, but "measure twice, cut once."
    Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Theodora
    I gave up on pre-cuts not long after they came out. They weren't worth the trouble to me.
    For the extra price you pay, it just isn't worth it. I get leftovers from RK from the cutting of charms (selvage edges) and the height is a pinked skinny 1/8" larger. It doesn't bother what I am making with these scraps since I trim them down to 2" finished 4 patches. These are used exclusively for the making of charity quilts.
    Old 04-15-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I found that Moda pre cuts have always been perfectly cut to size for me. Some other brands are not. Moda will replace any precut that are off in size.
    I agree TOTALLY...Never had an issue with a Moda Bundle...I think you do, however and unfortunately, have to be very careful when purchasing the 2.5" pre-cuts that are put together in the quilt shops (e.g. are cut there)...Most do this by hand, stacking several layers of fabric, and they just are not accurate......even with the AccuQuilt cutters, there are times that the rolls are off by more than a thread or two........I just do not purchase pre-cuts unless they are Moda..
    Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 AM

This is Whistler Studios for Windham Fabrics. The jelly roll itself is uniform from strip to strip. The strips are just not 2-1/2" like I expected. Live and learn I guess. I will measure to be sure the next time. I do have 1 jelly roll that is a Moda and 1 other that is a Benartex - I may have to put these all 3 against each other to compare.
    Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 AM
    Power Poster

I quit buying precuts because of always being mis cut. usually too short on width and length. so easy to cut your own.
    Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 AM
    Power Poster

I buy bolts of blenders, solids, and neutral fabrics and pre cuts of the designer lines. I like having all the fabrics in each line. It is very worth it to me and I save money buying fabric this way.
    Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 AM

There are differences. Hoffman is a great company. I purchased a Hoffman bali jelly rolls quilt kit. Some of the strips were 2.5, a lot were 2 and a eighth (ugh) I had already sewn a stack of four patches.....then found they didn't fit the block....so I measured.... Three different sizes in the three rolls. I was surprised, to say the least. I talked with Hoffman and they not only sent me replacement rolls that were LASER cut, they also sent 8 yards of batik backing of my choice to finish my quilt. The Hoffman rep told me that they had used a company in India that was cutting the rolls, by hand, ....she meant with large machine cutters, but they were not accurate, so ALL OF THEIR PRECUTS ARE NOW DONE BY LASER. The laser rolls they sent were a perfect measurement. Love it when a company stands behind their product, then goes out of their way to please a customer. Lesson.....always measure before use.
    Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM

I found that Moda pre cuts have always been perfectly cut to size for me. Some other brands are not. Moda will replace any precut that are off in size.
    I agree with Onebyone, Moda has always been good to me. I have never bought anything but Moda Jelly Rolls.
    Old 04-15-2015, 01:17 PM

I buy bolts of blenders, solids, and neutral fabrics and pre cuts of the designer lines. I like having all the fabrics in each line. It is very worth it to me and I save money buying fabric this way.
    That' what I do, too, and I try to stick to Moda or a few other manufacturers that I've been successful with in the past.