Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >
  • Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

• Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
    Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I can't justify the cost of one but ... I would like to try one just once!
    I'm happy with what I can do (FMQ) on my regular machine so I'll stick with that.
    I have no desire to quilt for others but I would like others (I know not you since you live in Florida) to try out and use my machine if they would like.
    What machine do you have? I am not near ready for a LA machine!
    Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
    Banned

Well I thought I would jump in here...

I own a long arm..just purchased my second machine...
    I think we all have different gifts...I picked up longarm quilting easily...I know not everyone does...so I appreciate the ones that want to help support me.

I love hand quilting ...Well the looks of hand quilting ..I don't do it myself because I have never learned how ...but also very time consuming... When I see some of Borntohandquilt's quilts..I am amazed that she can just churn them out the way she does..that is her gift....and they are so stunning!

Some people just prefer piecing and they piece very well..if you aren't as good at quilting ...but you love your quilt why not send out the quilt?

IN all reality I wanted my own long arm machine so I could finish my own quilts...what I realized along the way is that now it doesn't matter as much to me..our needs/wants change with time..we are ever growing and ever changing.

When people who had their own LAQ machine would send me their quilts to LAQ ..I thought that was strange..now i get it! I sent out some of my own to a fellow board member..I am excited to see what she odes with them because she will put a new spin on something I started to create....and I am excited about our collaboration..in the end I hope everyone feels that way when they send me a quilts as well.

BUt there is a downside sometimes to having a LAQ machine...yes lots of space..they take up lots and lots of space. money..I had to make it a business to pay for my machine..I prayed for ten quilts a month. Just to make my pamt. Long hours standing in front of a machine.

But in the end all of that is worth it. I get to be creative. I meet new people all of the time. People who share in the same hobby as I do. I get to stay home with my kids and help support my family. The benefits of owning my long arm outweigh any negative.....That is just my own personal experience...and I don't expect anyone to share any or all of that.....if it's not your thing..it's not your thing. No pressure because there is room for all of us!
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
    Well I thought I would jump in here...

I own a long arm..just purchased my second machine...
    I think we all have different gifts...I picked up longarm quilting easily...I know not everyone does...so I appreciate the ones that want to help support me.

I love hand quilting ...Well the looks of hand quilting ..I don't do it myself because I have never learned how ...but also very time consuming... When I see some of Borntohandquilt's quilts..I am amazed that she can just churn them out the way she does..that is her gift....and they are so stunning!

Some people just prefer piecing and they piece very well..if you aren't as good at quilting ...but you love your quilt why not send out the quilt?

IN all reality I wanted my own long arm machine so I could finish my own quilts...what I realized along the way is that now it doesn't matter as much to me..our needs/wants change with time..we are ever growing and ever changing.

When people who had their own LAQ machine would send me their quilts to LAQ ..I thought that was strange..now i get it! I sent out some of my own to a fellow board member..I am excited to see what she odes with them because she will put a new spin on something I started to create....and I am excited about our collaboration..in the end I hope everyone feels that way when they send me a quilts as well.

BUt there is a downside sometimes to having a LAQ machine...yes lots of space..they take up lots and lots of space. money..I had to make it a business to pay for my machine..I prayed for ten quilts a month. Just to make my pamt. Long hours standing in front of a machine.

But in the end all of that is worth it. I get to be creative. I meet new people all of the time. People who share in the same hobby as I do. I get to stay home with my kids and help support my family. The benefits of owning my long arm outweigh any negative.....That is just my own personal experience...and I don't expect anyone to share any or all of that.....if it's not your thing..it's not your thing. No pressure because there is room for all of us!
    I was hoping you would jump in! I have no desire to longarm, but I am dying to make a quilt top pretty enough to send it to you!
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:08 AM

I had the choice --space wise--- for either a long arm or a grand piano. I chose the piano.
    My friend has a nice long arm that she bought brand new and has only used it twice. She's offered to let me use it but I turn her down. I guess it all depends on what feels comfortable.
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 AM

I was not fortunate enough to be able to do quality quilting on a regular machine. I was taking some tops to a LQS and took a look at their workmanship. I looked at hubs and said, "if someone is going to ruin my tops, it is going to be me". I bought a longarm. Who knew a year later I would open a quilt shop! LOL
    Old 08-28-2011, 06:35 AM

You said it very well! I think we all know our comfort level and skill level! I also think that people know you quilt and they think everyone needs a long arm! These are people who obivously don't understand the diffrent skill levels or time it takes. Like some people aren't comfortable quilting there own quilts by fm or by hand. We all have our reasons and comfort zones! OMG, my neighbor sends all her quilts out to a longarmer!They are breath taking to see when their done. Mine, I do FM and while they are not breath taking, they are still beautiful! I am happy with that for now!
    Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 AM
    Power Poster

I don't have the desire for one either. I'm intimidated by them and I can't justify the cost.
    I love to quilt by hand or send them out. I'm learning how to FMQ on my domestic.
    Old 08-28-2011, 07:20 AM

I love my Innova long arm! I've always wanted a LA since the first time I started quilting in 1998. I still have that Gammill brochure, but at that time in my life my son was just born and I couldn't justify buying one. But now my son is in HS and my husband is called away for long periods in the Navy I have extra time on my hands that I can play around with it. I also have a day job that I love, not quilt related and happy to say I bought and paid for my Innova on my own. It's all a personal choice just like cars!
    Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 AM

I just finished my LA classes at the LQS which rents theirs out for $15/hr. I figure I can get lots of quilts done there for the price of my own but I am on the lookout for one. I, too, took to it easily (at least my teacher said so :-) ) and now that DD is moving out I will have her bedroom for space. I can understand that it's not for everyone, but I would much rather put my quilt on a frame than pin baste one for FMQ!
    Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 AM

I had done some FMQ work on my Bernina 440 with a stitch regulator, but it was just so hard to maneuver the quilt that I looked for something else. I would have had trouble fitting a LA into my sewing area, but it could have been squeezed in. I tried out long arms at the Nolting factory (which is very close to my home). They were very helpful, but I found out that I just don't like pushing the machine around. I ended up buying a Sweet 16 sitdown, and it is perfect for me. I have a personal preference for holding the fabric instead of the machine, so sitdown quilting just feels good to me. The large throat space of the Sweet 16 makes doing larger items soooo much easier. It doesn't have a stitch regulator, but I learned to manage without it.

If I had bought a LA, I would have gotten the Nolting. Quality products with great service and machines without frills. They did have a sitdown machine in their lineup, and they were even willing to build one up for me to try but there is more interent support for the 16. I ended up buying it at one of the LQS.

I do think that the price issue gets in the way of many people. Women have a tendency to sell our hobbies and interests short. I know lots of men with thousands and thousands of dollars in tools or boats or guns (just to mention a few types of hobbies) whose wives think they have to justify every penny they spend on their own hobbies. To steal a line for L'Oreal: You're worth it!

Pam