Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the only one who hates their machine threader? >
  • Am I the only one who hates their machine threader?

• Am I the only one who hates their machine threader?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:28 PM

I never use it because it's the first thing that gets out of alinement. The self threader is one of the features the sales people stress but they were surprised when I told them that as soon as you get the hang of using it it gets out of alinement. I'm not paying a maintenance check up fee to have it set right. I'm lucky that I sew without my glasses and have very little trouble threading my sewing machine. May in Jersey
    Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

I had virtually stopped machine sewing because I couldn't even see the eye of the needle to thread it so when I purchased a new machine it HAD to have the automatic needle threader. The needle up/down was also on my list.

My Janome threader works every time (needle must be at highest position) and I could not machine sew without it.

Hand sewing needles I can thread because I use the large eye variety.
    Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 PM

I used to use the threader all the time and really liked it. That was when I had my Pfaff machine. Now I have a Bernina and the threader doesn't work. Oh well. Linda
    Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM

I have a babylock sewing, embroidery machine with a needle threader and I love it !!! and easy to use and understand.
    Old 01-09-2010, 05:20 PM

I have used several needle threaders and love them. It is a time saver worth learning. I would suggest these tips: needle at highest point, pull out ample thread, lower presser foot to engage thread tension and hold the thread taut. Lower the threader, making sure that the tiny hook sticks through the front of the needle. Pull the thread across the front of the needle eye holding the thread. Release the needle threader and loosen the thread in your hand. A loop is pulled through the needle and to the back of the needle. Reach behind the needle and pull the looped thread through to the back of the needle. Sure hope this helps somebody enjoy sewing more!
    Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Hi- I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. Yes, the needle does have to be in the highest position, and the needle has to be inserted all the way up in the hole before tightening it in, but the threader grabbers cannot be awry either. If they are the least bent, and this is difficult to see, the threader will not work. It may be as simple as taking the sewing machine to your dealer and having someone experienced look at it. Otherwise, the sewing machine might need a threader repair...and that could run into some money...say 100.00. Anyway, when a threader works efficiently, it is worth its wait in gold, so please don't give up on it!/ Lissa
    Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM

I've had 3 different Bernina sewing machines in my lifetime. I wouldn't be without the automatic needle threader. It works great. It really saves time struggling with finding the hole in the needle.
    Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    The one on my Bernina embroidery machine I can operate. The one on the new Bernina 220 I bought just doesn't work for me. I love the threader that came with my Bernina 1260. It is a little thing that slides into the side of the machine when you are not using it. I hope they still sell extra ones. I mean to buy all that the dealer has so that I am never out of them.
    I think the reason they put the automatic threaders on the machines is so you couldn't use the feet from machines without them. I probably have fifty feet for my 1260 that won't fit the 220 for that reason.
    I have this machine, too. Bought it from a lady in my guild. Love it. Please tell me how the threader works. I haven't figured it out.
    Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM

I have a needle threader on my newest machine and I love it. As long as I do it correctly, it works everytime. My Kenmore was too old to have one.

I would love to have a thread cutter but that is in the future.
    Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM

i have a brother innovis 4400 i love my threader got bad athritis and carpal tunnel so for me is a great invention