Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard? >
  • Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

• Am I the Only Quilter Who Thinks Stippling is Hard?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM

What about the Quilt Halo? Do any of you use this, alone, with the Supreme Slider or is the Supreme Slider and gloves sufficient?

Cindy
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by iluvquilts
    What about the Quilt Halo? Do any of you use this, alone, with the Supreme Slider or is the Supreme Slider and gloves sufficient?

Cindy
    I tried the halo that came with my machine...didn't like it...it "seems" to make the quilting area too small...even though, technically, my hands do the same thing. I just felt I had more control with my hands than the halo.

I use the slider and gloves...
    Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 AM

Who are you and are you my sister. I have not a creative bone in my body either, in fact when ask, family and friends can not come up with one talent. So yes who are you and are you my sister lol. I have tried stippling and it is hard but I don't have the fancy machine you are talking about. Not that I think it would be any easier with a new machine, its me that has to be new. Can I order parts to this body or what? lol.

Rita
    Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 AM

[quote=MomtoBostonTerriers]I am a new quilter and am trying to teach myself to stipple. I have a Bernina BSR, so that should make the task easy. I find it very hard to make the stitches uniform in length, but even harder is how to "create" the stipple pattern.

I am such a linear thinker with not a creative bone in my body and I'm wondering if I will ever catch on to this seemingly simple aspect of quilting.

Like any other skill stippling is learned through practice. I too have a BSR but I was not an expert by anymeans at first use. I kept on practicing, I still go too fast through large curves and thus have bigger than I want stitches. One day I wanted to freemotion a small piece and just put on the darning foot. I was surprised at how much better I was at it even without a BSR to help. Slow the machine speed if you can and relax. This is not about world peace, or a cure for cancer. It is quilting and it is ok if you are not an instant expert. I made lots and lots of scrappy baby quilts for donations, with some having toe catchers in them, but I got better and so will you. Instead of trying for a stipple start with some gently curving lines including a loop de loop now and then, how about some large spirals. As you get more comfortable you will be willing to branch out to a meander and then maybe a stipple. The best advice I ever got to making stipples is to think of making mouse ears over and over. And most importanly don't forget to breath when you sew.
    Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
    Power Poster

i've been quilting since i was 7 now 51, always done by hand. I stright row quilted in the ditch 2 quilts, still impossible for me to get the stippeling down, some people make it look so easy, i still can't get the swing of it.
    Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Yes I agree with you momtobostonterriers - I have the same kind of brain/thinking - at least thats my story and I am sticking to it....hahaha...Hopefully with time we will get better.
    Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 AM

I saw a tutorial that said make sure you don't clench your teeth or jaw, which got me thinking ... I had my leg tightened and was balancing it on my toes. I got up and put some music on and everything went better.
    Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe start out with larger stippling designs... I try and imitate puzzle pieces, as that is a very familiar shape to me. Don't forget to breathe and relax while sewing them :D:D:D
    Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 AM

I'm all of the above and not able to stipple...or even meander!! I have a LOT of practice sandwiches and just can't seem to get my brain and hands to coordinate to create the "round" curves in all directions. I'll have some pretty nice ones and then when I shift to the other side, I get points...AAARRRGGGHHH!!

I've kinda given up on fancy, schmancy FMQ and do straight stitches (sometimes I'll get wild and crazy and do diagonals!!) and I'll also use decorative stitches or embroidery stitches that are like FMQ (I cheat :)).
    Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM

I bought an older used Bernina to do stippling with and it does a great job. It is not compatible with the BSR, so I am only doing FMQ. I have been taking some lessons on this machine and the most valuable piece of info so far is to put the machine on half the motor speed and put the "pedal to the medal". It works great that way. Oh yeah, breathing helps too. :lol:

There are stencils with a stippling design on it. Maybe that would at least help you see the motion and spacing of that quilting design.

You've got a lot of great advice here, we all hope it is helpful to you. :thumbup: