Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I wrong for being picky? >
  • Am I wrong for being picky?

• Am I wrong for being picky?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM

OMG! What a project!!!
    Please please keep us updated as you go, I (and I'm sure others) would love to watch your progress. I am doing a stained glass now but no where near as complicated.
    Thank you!
    David
    Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    The bright purple, for example, is a 2:1 ratio of Chinese Red and Brilliant blue.
    Black = Better Black
    The teal in the same picture = Kelly green + Brilliant Blue 4:1
    Grey = Grey. You could water down black for this.

If it were *me* I would buy a set of:

Chinese Red (or Fire Red)
    Kelly Green (because green is hard to match for me)
    Lemon Yellow
    Brilliant Blue
    Black

Soda Ash
    Squirt Bottles
    Urea (so you don't get speckly reds)
    Wow, you are good. I want to be able to know this. :)

FlyingV, I can't wait to see your pictures take shape!
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    If you have an image in your mind of how you want it to look, then that's how you want it to look! And that's that!

The problem comes when you are working against a deadline (whether it was set by someone else or by you) and you can't find what you want and have to settle for what you can find quickly.

If you don't have serious time constraints, keep looking...you'll find it eventually.
    Well, its on my resolution list to get at least one of them done before the end of the year. I tried making them once, but at the time there weren't pictures available so I tried to take a shot of my television screen while I was viewing the window in-game. And before Christmas I bought one of those video capture cards and made video of the gameplay, but the problem was the game developers had put the support posts of the room right in front of every other window. I could jump on this ledge on the post and view the window from there, but the problem was I was so close to the window that I could view the whole thing in one shot. So I viewed it in sections and when I made screen shots from the video I had to piece together some of those windows. But no matter how much I skewed and resized I couldn't get any of those pieces to make a full window (would take another paragraph to describe exactly why...boring!) Luckily, I found pictures of the windows (save two, but those were ones that weren't in sections) on ZeldaWiki. So its like "Yay! I'm past where I was stuck before!" And I don't want to let up because I promised myself I would finish at least one before the new year.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM

One good option for finding the right color fabrics is a large quilt show with a lot of vendors. That way you aren't depending on a computer monitor for true shades or running from shop to shop searching for solids. If you choose to dye your own I really admire your courage. I would never undertake dying that many colors of fabric - way too much trial and error for me. Good luck with your project!!
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    One good option for finding the right color fabrics is a large quilt show with a lot of vendors. That way you aren't depending on a computer monitor for true shades or running from shop to shop searching for solids. If you choose to dye your own I really admire your courage. I would never undertake dying that many colors of fabric - way too much trial and error for me. Good luck with your project!!
    If there's one in midwest Wisconsin, I have off work, I can find someone to drive, AND I have money at the time that would be an option.
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 AM

How large are your representations gong to be? If the individual pieces are larger than a a square inch, I would go with batiks that have subtle variation rather than solids to give the piece additional movement. I do real stained glass as well as quilt and using all clear (solid) colors made the piece uninteresting and dull whereas the use of patterned or multilayerer art glass gave the the same pattern the movement I was looking for.

Diana
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    How large are your representations gong to be? If the individual pieces are larger than a a square inch, I would go with batiks that have subtle variation rather than solids to give the piece additional movement. I do real stained glass as well as quilt and using all clear (solid) colors made the piece uninteresting and dull whereas the use of patterned or multilayerer art glass gave the the same pattern the movement I was looking for.

Diana
    They'll be about 22x22ish...not the "set in stone" dimension, but it won't be any smaller than that. So probably most of the individual pieces will be larger than a square inch. I plan on using the tone on tone fabrics like Moda Marbles or Hoffman Watercolor Bali. Not completely solid and have a subtle color variation. The images have solid colors to begin with and I think they look great so I think the tonal fabrics will add on to that. I don't want fabrics that have dramatic color variations. I haven't done the numbers on Nabooru yet, but each of the sage images have at least 15 colors (including black for leading) and I think if I had fabrics with not-so-subtle color varitions it would muddy up the design.