Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Another Connecting Threads question >
  • Another Connecting Threads question

• Another Connecting Threads question

Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 AM

I'm one of those pre-washers! I prewash everything as I had a red fabric run years ago in one of my first quilts. I have bought tons of CT fabrics and found them to be great quality. I have also bought a number of their kits and prewash them too. They are quite generous in the amounts they give you - I've never been short - just be careful and don't make mistakes cutting out your pieces. They give excellent instructions showing you how to cut your pieces - you can see how much extra you will have left over. I really like that the kits I have ordered they give you enough to cut your borders in one strip lengthwise on the fabric. You don't have to cut crosswise and piece the borders.

I have noticed that CT solid fabrics seem to ravel a bit, nothing out of the ordinary from other solids. I wondered if the process of printing dyes onto the fabric with prints sort of "anchors" the weave and prevents some fraying. Anyone out there know?
    Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 AM

I pre wash everything. Fabric, batting, even put charms in a lingerie bag and wash them. Most of my friends who quilt dont and they say their projects come out fine too.
    Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM

I pre-wash everything just to be safe. I also use those cloths I've had red and whites that have red in them bleed even with the cloth and it was very disappointing when finished. I think it was with flannel and one faded. I think it was a rag quilt so maybe so many washings faded it. Sue
    Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
    You stated it is a kit, I'd be careful in washing first in case of shrinkage. You may not have enough of each piece when washed first. I would starch it make it and then wash with a color catcher or two, depending on the size of quilt. Shout makes one and can find it near the detergents in most stores. also there is a cloth called Dye Grabber and I have gotten those at Hancock Fabrics. Both do a good job.

Good Luck

Suzy
    This was my plan. I am still not quite as confident as I could be I guess. Because it is a kit I thought of all the ravels and decided against pre-washing. I also want to thank all of you who have so graciously responded. You are all so awesome.
    Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I don't pre wash them but I do heavy starch and hot press all my fabric before cutting regardless of what brand it is. I figure if the fabric will bleed or shrink it will do it wet with starch and a hot iron. If you are sensitive to fumes some fabric may have a sizing on them that could irritate. I always wash the quilt when it's finished. I have lots of CT fabrics and mix them with other brands in a quilt and never had a problem so far.
    Yay! This is my answer too. :thumbup:
    Old 07-07-2011, 04:10 PM

I did wash mine. I used retayne, per the instructions on the bottle, and threw a color catcher into the wash. everything came out just fine; colors seem unchanged. I haven't even started the sewing yet, though!
    Old 07-07-2011, 04:47 PM

I only read the first page of this subject.........but when I wash something that I'm afraid might bleed, I always use Color Catchers. Works great! (and the little catcher is sometimes quite colorful)
    Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM

I would advise you to pre wash!!!!!!