Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • another expensive lesson >
  • another expensive lesson

• another expensive lesson

Old 09-24-2014, 02:49 AM

I bought a lot of H. F. blades when I went to Az . What a mistake I do not like them they were hard on my cutting mat
    Old 09-24-2014, 03:10 AM
    Power Poster

Visit the website of (LP Sharp). They are a company where you can send them your old/dull blades and they will send you new/sharp blades at a very discounted price. I have had good customer service with them and first started doing business with them almost 10 years ago. Also it solves that (age old) problem with what to do with those old blades.
    Old 09-24-2014, 03:56 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I have never believed that the Harbor Freight blades are as good as those made specifically for quilters. Some quilters like them, but others have complained about them being relatively dull and/or inconsistent in quality. For someone with poor vision, I'm not sure they are a good option because you may have to press harder to cut.

What I have done in the past is bought in bulk from eBay. There are some "generic" blades there that are very inexpensive, but the ones I have opted for are the name-brand Olfa blades.

Here is an example of the "generic" blades on eBay (10 blades for $8.45, free shipping):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-45MM-ROTA...item1c3ce898d0

Here is an example of the "lot" size I usually buy on eBay (15 blades for $30, free shipping):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-3-15-OLF...item51c3cbffc1

Edit: I just realized that at least the second example above is still in the bidding process. What I usually do is click on "buy it now" to compare prices. I used to be able to get large lots of Olfa brand blades for about $1.50 each, but now they are running about $3 each.
    I also buy from the same ebay seller, and have been very pleased. I got the 10 blade pack to check the quality first. My cousin & I went in and bought their 100 blade bundle. It was less than a dollar a blade. Tried harbor freight and the quality was spotty. Some were very good, some didn't even cut.
    Old 09-24-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
    I don't understand the frustration with TruCut's sharpener. As soon as a blade starts missing spots when I'm cutting I put it in my sharpener for 30 seconds on a side and go back to cutting. My rotary cutter then acts like I have put in a new blade. Have you tried keeping your stones oiled with a drop of oil before sharpening? My blades last a long time with frequent sharpening.

Good info. I bought one too but I need to test it out.
    Sandy
    Old 09-24-2014, 04:29 AM

I also have a TruSharp and quite like it. It does have a learning curve tho. I first tried it on a dull nicked discarded blade and was not pleased with the first result. But after re reading the directions and re positioning the little sharpening stones, I got an excellent result--considering what I started with.

I have ordered from Walmart online (US site--DH was travelling and did an instore pick up for me) and that worked out to just over $3 a blade. Shall check out the Ebay site too.

Last edited by GingerK; 09-24-2014 at 04:31 AM.
    Old 09-24-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
    I have used the Harbor freight blades for years now, and have never had a problem. ...
    I too use the Harbor Freight blades. While they are fine when they are new, I have noticed that they do not stay as sharp as long as the pricey ones. That being said ... I can but a lot of HF blades for the price of an Olfa blade. I also have one of those hand held sharpeners that I bought at JoAnns that extends their life a bit longer.
    Old 09-24-2014, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

I have always bought my rotary blades with a 50% off coupon at JAF, Never have had a bad blade from them.
    Old 09-24-2014, 05:03 AM

Like Prism99, I buy Olfa blades in packs of 5 or 10 on EBay and have been happy with them.
    Old 09-24-2014, 05:10 AM

I'm like many people here - tried Harbor Freight and the blades fit fine, but all of the ones I bought (2 pkg, so 4 blades) were horrible. 3 were completely dull and one was sharp in spots, so it'd cut dashed lines only. So I'm done with those! I also prefer 60mm blades and HF are the 45's.

I buy blades at Joann's w/coupons; or sometimes I find okay prices on Amazon or at quilt shows/expos. Blades are something I'm keeping a constant eye out for and when I find a good deal I stock up.

My philosophy is that life is too short to waste on things like dull blades. Plus I just love how slick and smooth a fresh blade cuts, it's very satisfying.
    Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269
    I bought the Tru Sharp blade sharpener and what a big mistake. Now back to buying blades so my questions is, does anyone buy blades from Harbor Freight? I see a 2 pack for $1.99, not sure of shipping but I could buy 10 packs at that price. All I found there was a 45m rotary blade for a specific carpet cutter but says most all other rotary cutter. Any info would be of help. I go through lots of blades cause my eyes are bad and I hit my templates quite frequently. Have so much to finish in such a short time before Christmas.
    Thanks
    I use them all the time. You can't beat the price. Everyone now and then I get a defective one but for the price that is OK with me.