Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Another just for fun- buying fabric >
  • Another just for fun- buying fabric

• Another just for fun- buying fabric

Old 07-16-2015, 05:06 AM
    Swap Hosts

First off, I haven't purchased fabric for over a year. I have so much of it that it's ridiculous. What did I buy in the past? If there was something that I really loved, I bought it -- but ONLY if I had a coupon. I also would buy just about anything that struck my fancy in the red dot or clearance sections. Then there were estate sales. Sometimes I would purchase extra fabric to coordinate. Now ... nothing. I am doing Konmari and it is either getting put into quilts or going, going, gone.
    Old 07-16-2015, 06:59 AM

I try to stick with buying for a specific project. I'm trying to avoid buying fabric for the sake of buying fabric.
    Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM

I buy most of my fabric on line, and will wait for a good sale - then will buy 1 yard of most things, 1/2 if it is a shop that will sell it that way. Since my eye is drawn to certain colors, I can usually spot one "focus fabric" and then shop my stash to put together a quilt. I never buy anything just because it's cheap, and I'm not really interested in bags of stuff from estate sales, yard sales - if I don't like it, I just don't want it around. I'll buy 5 yards of things that I think will work for a back, and I almost always buy Kona Snow 10 yards or more at a time. I will buy a fat quarter bundle from time to time if I love the fabric line and it is a screaming deal - also the occasional layer cake, but few and far between. Our local shops almost never discount more than 15%, which just doesn't cut it for me. I never buy a full price fabric just because I like it - it must have a dedicated purpose and I must have it now or I just won't do it.
    Old 07-16-2015, 08:38 AM

I buy some with a pattern in mind, however most of what I buy I just see it and fall in love with it. I always try to buy enough fabrics to go with it at the time so when I find a pattern I like I will have enough to do a project without having to go out and find something that will go with it.
    Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM
    Power Poster

I'm on a limited "fabric diet" since my husband became disabled and I could no longer find a job, other than taking care of him, which doesn't have much monetary value. However, after a successful Holiday Fair, money from selling a quilt or money from the raffle of the bi-annual family reunion quilts that I make, I take my money, or some portion of it and have a blast; usually at JoAnn's because that's about the only fabric store in my area that I'm aware of. I try to go with a list of what I need, but then there are some fabrics that literally jump off the shelves and into my cart and I just have to take them home with me. I know my DH thinks I have too much fabric (blasphemy) but many times, I will go through my stash - which was arranged by color or type at some point, until I pull fabrics out for a quilt; then write down what I need to finish one or two quilts. To me a fabric store is like finding treasure, and after returning home, I will sit down and fondle my fabric, as it feels so good. LOL.
    Old 07-16-2015, 01:09 PM

I'm new here and loving this site!

I think that a lot depends on what kind of quilts you make. I used to make traditional quilts so I'd buy for the quilt, but now that my style is scrappy with a lot of applique I buy what I like that I think I'll use. Since I work pretty small quarter yards are usually fine, but if it's something I really like I buy half yards, and if I love it, (depending on the price), I'll buy a full yard or more. I also collect certain designers and fabric lines. I have Kaffe Fassett prints going back many years. I buy all of his stuff I can get, as well as my favorite designers at Free Spirit and Westminster. I love Tula Pink's stuff and buy smaller pieces because the larger prints don't work well with my quilting style. However, I love cutting them up and getting unusual pieces from them.

Stash building is ongoing. Since I collect for the long term I look for colors that are unusual and that don't come along that often. I do the same with patterns. I avoid too trendy looks because I ended up stuck with a lot of dusty country prints from the 80s and don't want to go there again! I've actually gotten pretty picky lately which is a good thing for my bank account.
    Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 PM

I buy for projects and just because it screams my name as I walk by it. I rarely buy less than 1.5 yards which certainly explains the state of my stash. However, I gift quilting friends with fabric on occasion & let others pick out some fabric from time to time. MY younger DD loves to look through and fondle some of the fabrics. I, however, have a ton of cabbage rose fabric that I'm not certain what I'll do with it. Seems like nobody wants that anymore.
    Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 PM

When I buy fabric it's because I have found I'm low on certain colors in my stash, I find a new pattern/color I love or I find fabrics that will make an awesome gift with something I already have.
    Old 07-16-2015, 11:39 PM

So my box turned up yesterday and it all jersey/stretchy fabrics! arrrg!! now i have no idea what to do with it S:
    can you quilt with Jersey? doubt it

did get some nice cotton squares though from a different person
    Old 07-17-2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Serianas
    Ok Ill stop with the daft questions after this one I promise! I just want to know how people go about making decisions about the fabric they buy... do folks buy based on a theme/colour or are they like me where a bag of random remnant sends them into paroxysms of happiness? (seriously the less I know about the scraps the better, its like a big old present to myself!)

The reason I ask is I have just bought a 15kg bag of cotton remnants (the needs to be hidden from teh OH) and just love sorting them by colour/theme and then arranging them how I think they would best go... then rearranging them again...
    You are one sick puppy, lol. I am so glad I am not alone. I too love going thru scraps remnants, etc and sorting them. I enjoy yard sales when you can get a bag of scraps for next to nothing, bring it home and sort it. What total fun. Something tells me there are more of us out there.