Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Another long-arm quilter? >
  • Another long-arm quilter?

• Another long-arm quilter?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Dang I should have put off the surgery on each wrist and held out for a long arm LOL.
    Seriously though congratulations on your new machine ! I did have surgery on both wrists a week apart and really wished immediately that I had not put it off for so many years!
    Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 PM

What are MBT shoes?

When I started I put 90" wide muslin sandwich on the machine, about 12' long. Still have open spaces on it so I use it when other people want to use my machine, for them to practice. Mostly it's used to cover the table when not in use. A sheet goes over the head.

Another practice is charity quilts. I've also cleaned out my stash for what-was-I-thinking fabrics and don't bother with batting. Now, my practice quilts (to learn something new) are my own. Don't practice on a customer's.

Doodling and tracing a pattern help. To use a panto, tracing with a non-marking tool (held like you'd hold the machine head) helps to get the motion into muscle memory

When I started piecing, I didn't want to quilt, so they were quilted by check. Then I got pretty good and my unique style wasn't matched by any LAQ's. Figured, it's time I learned how. So my quilting skills had to improve to match my piecing skills. They're still behind, but getting better. Perfect isn't required.
    Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Practice and give yourself permission to make creative mistakes! I doodle to get my brain conditioned and I listen to several Craftsy online lessons about design. Leah Day has several free online lessons in FMQ that I've been inspired by, too. See http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com. The stitch regulator can be jerky at first and if you turn it off I'd suggest setting your speed to a slower setting. The hardest thing is getting the bobbin set in firmly. I discovered it take lots of practice to do it by feel and that it has a slight snap to set it correctly. Relax you shoulders and your grip and you'll be FMQ like a pro in no time.
    Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    What are MBT shoes?
    It is a brand name. " MBT Trainers attempts to awaken and strengthen the awareness of physiologically correct walking among people world-wide by disseminating the idea and concept of MBT physiological footwear, "

They really help my posture and have pretty much eliminated my lower back pain.
    Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM

Unless you need those tops quilted for someone for a gift, keep them and quilt them when you're ready. I have three waiting for me & I know of several who had way more than that to do.
    Joan
    Old 11-22-2013, 10:56 AM

As the others have stated, it takes practice. I have been practicing on some quilts my guild makes for charity, and on one of them, the quilting looked like I was drunk when I did it. I later found out that the rails that my machine rides on were cracked. Replacing them made a world of difference. One thing I learned was practicing with pen on paper really helps. I have also watched videos on Youtube which also helps.