Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • another one block wonder question >
  • another one block wonder question

• another one block wonder question

Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Default another one block wonder question

are either of these fabrics appropriate for a OBW? I want to try my hand at it, but I'm on a self-imposed fabric buying moratorium. Also, has anyone done a smaller OBW project, say wall hanging size? I have several two yard cuts of fabric, with 11.5 or 12 inch repeat, which would get me only one stack, or 54 blocks, and I'm wondering if that's enough to get the beautiful flow in the OBWs I've seen. I prefer doing smaller quilts, because they're easier to manipulate when quilting.
    Attached Thumbnails obw.jpg  
    Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM

I've never done one myself, but I would saw these would definitely work. There was an OBW quilt posted in the picture forum yesterday made with small blocks that was beautiful.
    Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 AM

when I do a OBW and I've done several over the years, I always look for a novelty fabric that screams OMG, what in the world were they thinking when they made this!!!! The bigger the ''items'' in the novelty fabric, the better, about the size of a cell phone seems to work best. This ''bigger'' novelty fabric will give you a fairly long repeat, so you will need plenty but this is the type of fabric that seems to end up on the clearence rack at Joanns or Hancocks for 2-3.00 a yard!!!! No one seems to know what to do with it!!!!!!!!!! be sure to save plenty of uncut novelty fabric to use in the borders....people love to see what the orgional fabric looks like, since the OBW changes it so dramiticaly!!!!
    Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 AM
    Power Poster

the farther the repeat is the more variety you would get, but I've seen some odd prints made into OBW's and they look great. monster prints, etc. So I say go for it. pick a length and spot to cut and cut four lengths the same and layer them. then pin a few matching spots and cut what ever measurement works. 3 , 4, 5 inches. then cut those strip layers into squares. then take each stack of sqs and arrange and sew. have fun!!!
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM
    Power Poster

I think both of those fabrics would make beautiful OBW's, but I'm not sure about doing the smaller size. If necessary you could add some solid triangles for a different look. Here's an example - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t111975.html
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 AM
    Power Poster

I think that both will work just fine for a OBW.
    They'll both give unique looks.

If you want to get a look at what might result, try a pair of mirrors standing on end. Move the mirrors til you see 6 reflections.

No reason why you can't do a wall hanging size. Yes it will be smaller, though you will still see the kaleido effects ... and will know you want to watch for larger lengths to do a full size quilt!

There was a OBW shown on here, earlier this week, where the poster had interspersed plain fabrics, so each of the hexes showed. That'd help your sets grow into a larger piece too. All depends on what look you want.
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 AM

I think either one would be a beautiful OBW.
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM

I like them both, but I think the fabric on the right (green background large floral) will give you a little more variance from block to block. The one on the right will give you blocks that are more similar to each other.
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM

If you have 2 mirrors handy that you can stand side by side on the fabric you can see what it will make. Stand them so they make a triangle shape on the fabric...about the size you are planning to make your cuts. This helps a lot with deciding the fabric.

Also the repeat needs to be at least 12"....and if I recall you need about 5 yards of fabric to make a twin size...not sure about that...only if my memory is working!
    Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM
    Power Poster

I also think they both would work, but like the one on the right better.
    Here's a small one I made with about 2.25 yards. I think I actually cut the borders first and then used the rest for the quilt. I used 4" triangles. The OBW portion is about 24X36, and I think I only had about 30 some hexagons... I agree the color flow isn't as dramatic as it could have been, but I was just trying the technique. You could also use smaller trianges. They would isolate the individual colors better and give you a wider range.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t105995.html