Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Another question please.... >
  • Another question please....

• Another question please....

Old 08-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by marcycn
    Can't find cotton. I was told the trademarks (all sports) have only been in fleece for some time now.
    Some teams still have cotton, but not the Cards. I couldn't even find cotton sheets, only microfiber. I'd probably back it with red fleece.
    Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Think I've found my answer. He also likes the Kansas City Chief's and they have cotton. So one side will be Cards fleece whole piece and the other side KCC in strips or 9 patch or squares.... haven't thought that far ahead yet. :-) I can incorporate yellow cotton since they both have yellow in their logos. Maybe the binding. Or sashing. Anyway, thanks for the input. I also think I'll forgo the batting. Makes it easier to quilt and should be warm enough without it. :-) He's in SW MO - south of Springfield. Bet you could tell that with his choice of teams. lol
    Old 08-08-2014, 07:17 AM
    Power Poster

Do You have a projector of any sort?? You could take a picture of a cardinal, blow it up to the size that would work for the quilt and draw the bird. Then just start dissecting the bird into HST and doable quilt pieces such as various sizes of squares. If you want to embroider the wing and eye or add whatever you can think of. Good Luck
    Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 AM

Your quilt, do it your way! I have done quilts with fleece backing, with and without batting. I machine quilted both with no problems. I used a cotton pieced top and also a tshirt top. I prefer a standard binding to finish the edges as it looks better and lasts longer than a tied edge. I also prefer to quilt the layers together because a fleece quilt that is tied or not quilted at all can separate in the washer/dryer and get wonky shaped. But this is just the way I do them
    Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Do You have a projector of any sort?? You could take a picture of a cardinal, blow it up to the size that would work for the quilt and draw the bird. Then just start dissecting the bird into HST and doable quilt pieces such as various sizes of squares. If you want to embroider the wing and eye or add whatever you can think of. Good Luck
    Oh Dear! I don't have that kind of talent. You must be the kind of quilter that I just sit in awe of. :-) I'm more the strips and squares quilter. There is no way I could ever do what you suggest but it sounds beautiful. lol
    Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Sort of figured that I would have to quilt it and not tie it. We will see how this turns out. I had no intentions of doing another quilt for the GGkids but now I guess I am. :-)
    Old 08-09-2014, 03:39 AM

I make donation doll quilts all the time using fleece for the back. I don't think you need batting. It is really easy to layer and quilt. Depending on what the quilt looks like sometimes I birth it, sometimes I use regular binding. I have also used fleece as batting and it FMQ beautifully. As for the front could you blow up their logo and machine applique it on the front? I think that would be awesome.
    Old 08-09-2014, 03:45 AM

Here is a site with all sorts of baseball (general) as well as Cardinals: http://www.bearpawquilting.com/cgi-b...words=baseball
    Old 08-09-2014, 03:45 AM

I just saw the suggestion of making a cardinal. I print pictures out on my printer all the time and them trace them with a pencil or sharpie. Just keep blowing it up on your printer until you get the right size. You will have to tape many pieces of paper together to do this. I have copied several pieces of artwork this way. I was going to post the picture but I can't find it right now.
    Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 AM

I'm just finishing my first quilt using fleece as the backing and I didn't use any batting. It's turning out really well. I used the Elmers School glue to layer it as described on so many threads here on the QB and it has not shifted at all. The fleece quilts really well. I've used simple straight line quilting with my walking foot, and the definition on the back is very nice. I left enough batting around the edges that I plan to self-bind by folding the fleece to the front and stitching...hope to get that done this weekend. Now I want to try fleece with another quilt and do some FMQ.

I think your plan to have the Kansas City Chiefs on the other side in a very simple pattern will work great.