Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Another way to store fabric >
  • Another way to store fabric

• Another way to store fabric

Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
    Having had two foot surgeries, my foot doctor and I are well acquainted. Several month ago, I noticed that he'd emptied two "filing" units that were used to store medical folders (his office is going electronic). Many times, in many offices, I have coveted / yearned for / craved / ... one of these units!! When I saw his empty, I screwed up my courage, dreading what the cost might be, and asked if they were for sale??

Yes! They were for sale and at very reasonable prices. Long story short, I have space for only one in my sewing room (although I was tempted to buy the second unit and re-purpose it) so bought only one. _:thumbup: _

Sorry the picture is a bit blurry (hate this camera!). Is this cabinet to die for or what?!! When the fabric is folded using the ruler method, it fits perfectly. At this point, about half of it is folded correctly. The shelving unit to the right (which will be moved shortly) is what I was using but things kept toppling over and, because the shelves are deep, I kept putting other things in front of the fabric which completely defeated being able to see it at a glance. _ :-( _

So, what do you think of my solution??
    Can you explain what "folding using the ruler method" means? My husband is planning to build me shelves in my closet, and I would like to know the dimensions of each of your "cubicles". What size are your folded fabrics?
    Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    Can you explain what "folding using the ruler method" means? My husband is planning to build me shelves in my closet, and I would like to know the dimensions of each of your "cubicles". What size are your folded fabrics?
    I'll try to remember to measure the cabinet tonight, when I get home. The fabric folding method has been talked about on the Board before and I'd be hard pressed to explain it better than they did so, please, use the Search feature at the top to look for "folding fabric." Basically, you wrap the fabric around a 5" or 6" ruler so everything comes out a uniform width.
    Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Forget about the storage unit, I'm drooling over all that gorgeous fabric you have.
    Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM

I too had way more fabric than even I realized. Until I moved, and had to unbag, sort and pack it all. I have set aside quite a lot that I can live without, and have tried to better organize what I did keep. I also sew garments and other items beside quilts, so I sort by fabric type rather than color family.
    Love the repurposing of the medical record racks. I formerly worked in a large medical practice. Wish I had thought of that when they went to electronic medical records.
    Love your pics!
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Pretty creative, I think. You know what they say "Takes a woman-----."
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM

What a great idea! I never would have thought of that. I bet you can get some good prices on shelving like that at an office surplus store.
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM

Wish mine looked as neat as yours. Great idea.
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM

I did a similar thing some years back. I bought 1 of the drawer units for hanging folders at a salvage yard. My son used it for his dresser in his room and took it off to college. the drawers were deep, the walls were metal for magnets and stuff, and the best thing was that you had to completely close one drawer before opening another. Hence his room stayed neat. I got 2 more but these had a shelf on the top and then 4 drawers. I put a different color fabric in each and stacked them so that I could see each fabric at a glance. Works great!
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM

I did a similar thing some years back. I bought 1 of the drawer units for hanging folders at a salvage yard. My son used it for his dresser in his room and took it off to college. the drawers were deep, the walls were metal for magnets and stuff, and the best thing was that you had to completely close one drawer before opening another. Hence his room stayed neat. I got 2 more but these had a shelf on the top and then 4 drawers. I put a different color fabric in each and stacked them so that I could see each fabric at a glance. Works great!
    Old 07-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Can you still buy the other one? I live on Dracut,MA and would be willing to purchase it.