Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Antique blocks help >
  • Antique blocks help

• Antique blocks help

Old 06-11-2024, 08:27 AM

Default Antique blocks help

I was asked to put these blocks together, but upon closer inspection, I find that the background fabric blocks were torn without measuring. They are all quite different in size. I hate to return them to my mother-in-law unfinished, but I have no idea how to fix them since I can't trim them to size because the applique was added in such a way that it goes to the same distance from the edges, no matter what size the block. Even if I were to find similar fabric, adding to the smaller blocks would not help. In the attached picture, one cannot see how disparate the block sizes are. I do hope someone can give me suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails colleens-quilt-block-layout.jpg  
    Old 06-11-2024, 08:50 AM

I would add a generous border around each block and then trim these to a consistent size. You could use several colors or maybe just 2. Good luck with this project
    Old 06-11-2024, 09:07 AM

I agree with cjsews. I had a bunch of blocks that finished at 8 inches and 9 inches. I added borders to bring them all out to the same size--12 inches finished in this case. I then added sashing between the blocks. If anyone ever noticed the difference in the sizes of the original blocks, they never said anything. And that quilt took a first place ribbon at a couple of fairs!!

They are lovely blocks and you are a lovely person to help out your mother in law.
    Old 06-11-2024, 10:09 AM
    Power Poster

I was also going to suggest adding borders like cjsews and GingerK suggested.

They are lovely blocks.

A "be aware" - I would be willing to bet serious money that the background fabric is muslin - and in my experience, unwashed muslin shrinks - a lot!

I have no suggestions on how to check for that before continuing without making more of a mess of things.
    Old 06-11-2024, 10:18 AM

I'm with the others. I don't think they are all that mismatched in size, some can be trimmed down a bit. No one is really going to notice if the background is 1/4" closer to side, or if the framing is 1/4" larger or smaller. To be specific, I would frame each block and then center them and trim them to the same size. You can use the same fabric or different ones, I think a busy small scale floral would work very well. I would then use a fairly thin sashing, in a close enough to the green or background.

The other option would be to use most of the blocks that are closest to size. For that I'd set them on point and alternate with a full sized block of probably the "close enough" green since it won't touch.
    Old 06-11-2024, 12:28 PM

Don't send them back. work with them and all will be well. Not perfect but what in the world is perfect? Go for it.
    Old 06-11-2024, 12:43 PM

You could try a square in a square type of design with the original blocks as different angles. Float the different size squares on point and just make the triangle corners different sizes to make the overall blocks the same size. If the blocks were angled different in each block, the different sizes wouldn't be as noticeable.
    Old 06-11-2024, 01:21 PM
    Power Poster

First of all ... how much variance of size is there?

They may be workable as is, without bordering, via sashings/cornerstones.

A treasure to have ... were these made by your MIL? or is there a bigger story to them?
    Old 06-11-2024, 03:03 PM

It's good to remember that perfectly even blocks are a relatively new thing in quilting. You could sew this together as-is, taking off whatever extra you need to get it to fit, and it'd be perfectly appropriate for the time and style of those blocks. But if you still want to make it a little more balanced, there are a couple of methods.

Easiest is what CJ recommended- use borders to get all the blocks up to the same size. Pick a busy fabric with the same color background as the blocks, and the actual edges of the blocks will receded so you don't really notice if one's a little bigger than the other.

The other options were going with a non-grid setting like a brick pattern, purging anything that couldn't be squared up and using the excess blocks on the back, or cutting the blocks up into something else.

Old 06-11-2024, 07:54 PM

Just another thought. You could use a full-size background and applique these on and make a whole new design with them. Thnk spiral galaxy or several flower stalks with leaves. I would sew a lining along the edge of the blocks and make it more curvy, following the pattern on the blocks and then turn the lining to the inside. This will give a smooth applique edge and stop any fraying. Or you could be traditional applique or even a very light iron on applique material. I have not made any of these quilts but might one day.