Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Antique Quilts >
  • Antique Quilts

• Antique Quilts

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 AM

I just got the first quilt washed and laid out to dry. I washed it by soaking it overnight in the tub with powder made to clean antique quilts that I got from my LQS. This quilt was wet when I received it and you could see where the bright red pieces were running so I knew I needed to wash it ASAP. The quilt seemed structurally very sound but so dirty and yellowed to the point you could not really tell what the pieced block colors were. Turns out the quilt was not nearly as yellowed as I thought. The quilt back actually is a lovely lemon yellow! The binding is made by turning the back to the front. There is no other yellow on the front though some places the batting is thin to gone and the yellow of the back shows through. It actually cleaned up pretty well. I put some ColorFast sheets in when I washed it and was pleasantly surprised at how much of the red runs faded away and the red pieces are now a clear bright red that look like they never faded at all in all these years. I thought the pattern was a red cross on white background but it turns out it is some kind of star pattern--just couldn't distinguish the black and grey print fabrics from the dirty white. I suspect some of the piecework that still looks the same color as the white was a print at one time long ago. Maybe those will be distinguishable when the quilt is dry.

So does anyone recognize this pattern?

Family Quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205590[/ATTACH]

Block easiest to see pattern
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205591[/ATTACH]

Most of the blocks look more like this
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205592[/ATTACH]

The quilting on the plain blocks
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205593[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-205584.jpe   attachment-205585.jpe   attachment-205586.jpe   attachment-205587.jpe  
    Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM

I adore the red block quilt. I would love to copy that for a future quilt. (is that alright?)
    Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Is there a quilt museum near you? If so you might be able to find someone who can give you more information, including how best to preserve each quilt.
    Thanks dunster,

I talked to some museum curators and appraisers before when grandma gave me that first quilt and again before I finally cut that first quilt up for distribution. The advice I received then helps a lot with these quilts as well.

Some of these quilts will just need to be cleaned and then entrusted to their heirs with storage/display instructions. A few, it will be an easy decision to cut out any intact pieces we can to preserve and distribute. Some though are in bad shape but not necessarily hopeless condition. Those are the ones hard decisions will have to be made on. One is what was once a beautiful crazy quilt but is in awful condition. Due to the exotic fabrics used, I will be seeking lots of advice on it before I attempt to do anything, including cleaning it.
    Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
    I adore the red block quilt. I would love to copy that for a future quilt. (is that alright?)
    Of course you may copy it redkimba. I can think of no greater compliment to its maker than someone liking her work so much they want to make a quilt like it. Many of the old quilt patterns were handed around from quilter to quilter. I received some old cardstock templates someone had copied from a quilt along with the blocks my mom's grandmother had made with them when I first started quilting years ago.
    Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Tattered and torn, this must have been a lovely, restful applique quilt when it was new. Pastel blue doves soar across a snow white background corralled by a scalloped blue binding. Fabric is very worn and thin, the binding almost gone and rips extend into the quilt. I wonder what color blue the doves were when the quilt was young.

Blue Dove Quilt Applique
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205651[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-205645.jpe  
    Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Tattered and torn, this must have been a lovely, restful applique quilt when it was new. Pastel blue doves soar across a snow white background corralled by a scalloped blue binding. Fabric is very worn and thin, the binding almost gone and rips extend into the quilt. I wonder what color blue the doves were when the quilt was young.

Blue Dove Quilt Applique
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205652[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-205646.jpe  
    Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 PM

A Baby Quilt! It was folded inside another quilt. Embroidered Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam parade across this one. Excellent condition too! The colors are very faded though. I am betting the blocks originally were some color other than white as the maker used a lot of white embroidery thread which does not show up well on the white background. I wonder if the pink in the sashing was originally red or pink. Amazing quilting too. This one is a work of art.

The whole quilt blowing a bit in the wind.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205832[/ATTACH]

Sunbonnet Sue varies only in colors
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205833[/ATTACH]

Sam also varies only in colors.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205834[/ATTACH]

A closeup of some of the beautiful quilting in the sashing.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]205835[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-205826.jpe   attachment-205827.jpe   attachment-205828.jpe   attachment-205829.jpe  
    Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 PM

I wonder if the birds were bluebirds of happiness instead of doves and might once have been a brighter blue?
    Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 AM

Post pictures please. I would love to see them.
    Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 AM

beautiful quilts and many precious memories