Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Antique Quilts >
  • Antique Quilts

• Antique Quilts

Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM
    Power Poster

So glad you found a copy of the Dating Fabrics book! One of the first maxims of quilt dating is the quilt is only as old as the newest fabric in it. Like none of us here have fabrics from 30 years ago that we may use bits and pieces of!
    Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 PM

These are beautiful! Can't wait for the next installment in the story. LOL Keep them comming...
    Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 PM

This is such an interesting story. I am so impressed with your knowledge as well as other quilters here on the board. Thanks so much for taking us along on your search. Please keep posting what you learn.

I have some old quilts of my grandmothers and this has made me aware that I need to add labels to them. Is there a proper way to document the information. Would it be wrong to hand stitch a label with her name and dates that they were made?

Edited to add: Also what is the proper way to store and preserve the quilts? One is a crazy patch made of bright silky fabrics, probably made around 1960 or so.
    Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM

What a wonderful story....keep us informed as you find out more information....
    Old 06-03-2011, 07:38 PM

This topic has been a real "page-turner"! I too hope you'll continue to post as you clean and learn about your family heirlooms.
    Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 PM

I 'inherited' a few quilt tops. I was able to get someone local who dated them and knew if they were of value. She also told me how to restore them. They do have a smell.

So right now I am in the process of turning over the raw edges and basting them. she advised me to purchase some RESTORATION online from [blue] www.softexpressions.com [/blue] to to help remove stains and such. Then to gently soak the tops in a gentle liquid detergent [no scent or bleach], rinse, and air dry.

Will see what happens.

There are some universities that have quilt collections and will assist you in naming any patterns. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got my info, but think it was from Nebraska University. I sent pictures and they identified the patterns. In one case I could get a kit that was made to match the kit quilt I was asking about so I could complete it.

Have fun.

ali
    Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 PM

What a wonderful project. I have two special quilts I inherited. I know this will be alot of work for you but you will enjoy every moment of this unique task!!! Keep us posted.
    Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    I can't help but marvel at the work that some women did so many years ago, especially in light of how much harder everything was for them to do in every day life. No micro, no fridge, probably no electric, only gas or oil lamp to work by in the evening, gather wood for stove, bake bread for the day and no Maytag, for sure, haul water, heat up water, scrub on board with soap that you had to make first and on and on and on. Then they maybe got to sit and cut and sew after the children were fed and bedded down, by pale flickering light. I just can't imagine how they managed it all. I marvel at the results.
    um...my great aunts only quilted in the afternoons when the light was best. The babies slept and the other older kids looked after younger ones, played outside, did chores, fished etc. Bread was baking, soup or stew slowcooked, while they quilted, often several women together. Sometimes they had a non-quilting reader who read the bible or novels or the newspaper aloud.
    Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 AM

Thank you so much for sharing and PLEASE keep telling us stories and about your research!
    I just discover the "101 Patchwork Patterns" by Ruby McKim and her website, just wonderful!!

Patricia
    Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 AM

This quilt, unfortunately, is in really bad shape. It is a very heavy quilt and is made at least in part from previously used fabrics. The backing is a beautiful and unique orange and blue plaid that seems perfect for the quilt. There is some pretty embroidery on it like you might see on a crazy quilt but I think this quilt was meant to be used and not just display like crazy quilts often are. It has been heavily used and washed over the years. The red reminds me of the heavy red work shirts my grandpa always wore in the winter and I bet that material came from worn out work shirts. There is some brown corderoy that has random seams as well so surely was also previously used fabric.

The quilt has an attractive piano key border.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]206429[/ATTACH]

What an awesome backing for this quilt. The backing is turned to the front for the binding. This fabric also appears in a few of the piano keys.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]206432[/ATTACH]

Overview of quilt--Note: this quilt just came out of the wash and is still very wet in these photos.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]206436[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-206423.jpe   attachment-206426.jpe   attachment-206430.jpe