Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any Hand quilters left? >
  • Any Hand quilters left?

• Any Hand quilters left?

Old 09-22-2017, 06:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    You want to talk about dinosaurs, I still cut pieces with scissors!! And use a SInger 185J that is one year younger than me (60).

I don't know you use leather thimbles, I have worn holes in the end of two metal thimbles! I use the kind with a ridge on the end.
    You are so funny!!! Weren't you the one who called us "dinosaurs"? hahahahaha
    I can't use metal thimbles and tried so hard. The leather ones eventually wear out but I get a lot of use out of one before that happens.
    I wish I could use the metal ones b/c they are much prettier
    Old 09-22-2017, 06:20 AM

Most of mine are hand quilting. To me, it just that little extra. I like the Clover silicone thimble.
    Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM

I hand quilt. I know it takes longer, but I am one that doesn't care for all the heavy quilting done by machine or long arm quilting. It is very relaxing and such a great feeling when the quilt is done.
    Old 09-22-2017, 06:22 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    Most of mine are hand quilting. To me, it just that little extra. I like the Clover silicone thimble.
    Thanks for the tip AZJane- I haven't tried that one.
    Old 09-22-2017, 07:13 AM

I use to only hand quilt. When I took my daughter to quilt club with me she noticed they all long arm, she said they weren't quilters, they were "piecers". I may have giggled, but the long armers are greater quilt artist than I will ever be! I admire their work, and have used them when I make a quilt I can't do in sections on my lap, like a grandmothers flower garden or a double wedding ring. It takes about 9 months to quilt a bed size quilt, slowly in the evening, but I squeeze in smaller charity quilts that I do FMQ and enjoy. If I don't have a quilt to hand quilt, then I do redwork and/or embroidery to keep my hands busy.
    Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    Hi everyone,
    I learned to quilt in the 80's and that was predominately the way things were quilted. I still love the relaxation and beauty of hand quilting but am learning FMQ because it's pretty in a different way and I have more ideas than time

I was wondering how many of us still hand quilt? I use a leather thimble. It's the only one that has ever worked for me, and a hoop, but there are a million different ways. I usually do it in the cooler weather as well.

So do you hand quilt?
    Big Stitch is something that has interested me for a long time, just never got around to it. I have a need for many "round toits". Have you checked out the website of Sherri Noel? You can find her work and advice at RebeccaMaeDesigns.com

Several years ago, either "Threads" or "Piecework" carried a feature on making your own leather thimble. I believe it can still be found online.

Yes, it is still available online at Taunton Press. You don't need to buy the back issue. "At last, the perfect thimble." Threads issue #87, pp 54-55 for the instructions on making your own leather thimble.

Last edited by elnan; 09-22-2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: additional info, and correct spelling
    Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 AM

My DD makes my leather thimbles for me. Soft leather with the rough side out. They last longer that way.
    Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by elnan
    Big Stitch is something that has interested me for a long time, just never got around to it. I have a need for many "round toits". Have you checked out the website of Sherri Noel? You can find her work and advice at RebeccaMaeDesigns.com

Several years ago, either "Threads" or "Piecework" carried a feature on making your own leather thimble. I believe it can still be found online.

Yes, it is still available online at Taunton Press. You don't need to buy the back issue. "At last, the perfect thimble." Threads issue #87, pp 54-55 for the instructions on making your own leather thimble.
    No, I haven't but I will- thank you!!!
    Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 AM

Here's a pic of my leather thimble made by my DD. I love them because they stay on my finger and I can feel what I'm doing through the leather, unlike a metal thimble (I have tried a number of thimbles, this is my favorite). They do eventually wear out, but she made me a bunch, so I don't ever have to be without one. My current one has quilted several projects and is still going.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]581003[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails thimble.jpg  
    Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM
    Power Poster

I've hand quilting since the early 70's before I was a teenager. didn't know there were rules, like using a hoop and a certain number of stitches per inch. I always quilt without a hoop, and they come out fine. didn't know I was quilting then, just did it. All I knew was getting all 3 layers together. never learned to use a thimble. big problem for me now. i'm doing an EPP 1" hex quilt. I wish I could use a thimble, because i'm not able to quilt for a few days. I need to let my fingers heal. May go get a thimble tomorrow. i'm sick of all these holes in my finger.