Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • any ideas for a quilt label? >
  • any ideas for a quilt label?

• any ideas for a quilt label?

Old 02-01-2020, 01:46 PM

Default any ideas for a quilt label?

When I make a quilt I usually try to put a label on the bottom of the back - just as a little something personal and something extra. I have a quilt now that I have come up empty on ideas of what to put on the label

my dad was born and raised in Germany. He came to America when he was 18. Different members of his family have visited thru the years. A couple of years ago I made a quilt for my cousin's granddaughter and put a nice little poem on the label - they really liked it.

my cousin is coming to visit again this summer and asked me to make her mom (my aunt) a quilt. I am very happy to do and I actually have a top ready and now I am thinking about a label. Well I don't want to do the same thing as what I did for my cousin's granddaughter.. but I can not get inspired either

My brother has suggested incorporating the years that they have visited on the label - to help make it a keepsake of their visits. While I like that idea.. still can't come up with anything

I thought maybe some here may have some inspiration to help me out - any thoughts?

the quilt is the scrappy bargello from the Quiltville website. On the back we are going print some pictures of my dad's house and areas that they had visited when they were here in the past...

any ideas?
    Old 02-01-2020, 02:02 PM

The memories of our family visits are woven into our lives and treasured. For a special aunt...

Good luck!

PS: I know what you mean about the label. A quilt label for my son's quilt came to me while driving. I had to pull over and write it down so I didn't forget. Another label was about a garden walk with a special friend.
    Old 02-01-2020, 09:09 PM

This is what I generally do. Make the label by running it through a printer and add a border with leftover scraps. Info included would be as follows.
    Name of quilt
    Machine pieced and quilted by (your name)
    Date completed
    Design source
    If it's a gift state this and the occasion (wedding, etc.) Add a quick note.
    Old 02-02-2020, 06:28 AM

How about a flower with the years on the petals. Or a bird silhouette with the years on the feathers.
    Old 02-02-2020, 11:31 AM

Thank you all for your replies.... I like the scraps idea and the years on the flower petals - - the little poetic line is nice too... I think I could use all of the suggestions!!
    Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 AM

Take care to wonder at the world through which you wander... Just a thought.
    Old 02-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb
    Take care to wonder at the world through which you wander... Just a thought.
    That's a good one too! See that is why I come to this site!! so many bright minds here